When disruption on Northern was at its height, congestion at Blackburn was often given as a reason for cancellations and short termination of (Southport)-Wigan-Blackburn services.
Could this be remedied by reinstating an up through platform loop, platform 5, at Blackburn?
This would have some advantages, e.g. allowing Manchester-Blackburn trains to turn round in the new platform clear of other trains; enabling fast up trains to overtake stoppers; and also allowing parallel movements, in the form of simultaneous departures for Bolton and Preston.
If long enough, and coupled with lengthening of platforms at intermediate stations, it would allow peak services to be worked by 6-car sets, which cannot currently use bay platform 3. Currently platform 4 is 5 cars long according to Quail.
As for Manchester-Burnley-Blackburn, I think it would be more useful if extended to Preston, to give a 3rd connection each hour from East Lancs to the WCML.
It is the best route from Rochdale to Preston since the line from Bolton closed in 1970.I heard that the Burnley-Rochdale bus route has been discontinued, perhaps because the railway has taken some of its traffic.
I admit that redoubling a mile of track between Bolton and Astley Bridge Junction would be of more immediate benefit.
Could this be remedied by reinstating an up through platform loop, platform 5, at Blackburn?
This would have some advantages, e.g. allowing Manchester-Blackburn trains to turn round in the new platform clear of other trains; enabling fast up trains to overtake stoppers; and also allowing parallel movements, in the form of simultaneous departures for Bolton and Preston.
If long enough, and coupled with lengthening of platforms at intermediate stations, it would allow peak services to be worked by 6-car sets, which cannot currently use bay platform 3. Currently platform 4 is 5 cars long according to Quail.
As for Manchester-Burnley-Blackburn, I think it would be more useful if extended to Preston, to give a 3rd connection each hour from East Lancs to the WCML.
It is the best route from Rochdale to Preston since the line from Bolton closed in 1970.I heard that the Burnley-Rochdale bus route has been discontinued, perhaps because the railway has taken some of its traffic.
I admit that redoubling a mile of track between Bolton and Astley Bridge Junction would be of more immediate benefit.
Last edited by a moderator: