• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the Pro-Rata salary equivalent to 35 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
Hello,

Just a quick, simple question. I know pro-rata salaries are equivalent to full-time, just wondering what SWR class that as

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
677
Usually 37 for gateline and platfor, 35 for drivers and 42 for guards?
 

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
Usually 37 for gateline and platfor, 35 for drivers and 42 for guards?
Don't think so. When I applied for Gateline at Wimbledon, the role was 35 hours and classed as full-time. So I presume 35 hours is the pro-rata equivalent?
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Don't think so. When I applied for Gateline at Wimbledon, the role was 35 hours and classed as full-time. So I presume 35 hours is the pro-rata equivalent?
So you know the answer anyway?
 

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
No, I'm just assuming. I've never had a pro-rata salary before. I thought it was 40 hours initially, but now I've seen positions with 35 hours being classed as full-time I just want to make sure
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
No, I'm just assuming. I've never had a pro-rata salary before. I thought it was 40 hours initially, but now I've seen positions with 35 hours being classed as full-time I just want to make sure
35 hours is full time. Anything over 30 is. Sorry if I’m misreading this.
 

Cavan

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2017
Messages
278
Excluding drivers and guards a standard full time week for SWR staff is 37hrs. There are not 35hr contracts for gateline staff.
 

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
So if 37 hours is full-time why are 35 hour positions being classed as full-time?
 
Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Different roles have different contracts.

I work 'full time' but my contract states that as a 35hr week. In my previous job I was only considered to be full time if I was on a 39hr contract.
 

Cavan

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2017
Messages
278
Please link the to the job advert(s) that you "keep seeing" that shows this?
 

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
Yeah that's why I'm confused, because my current job only counts 40 hours plus as full-time. I didn't realise this question would be so complicated haha. Can't find a single answer for it on Google. Just to clarify, if I see a customer ambassador position that's £22,932 pro-rata per annum, that means £22,932 = 35 hours. Therefore if I was working 25 hours, it would be £16,380 (22,932/35 = 655.2. 655.2 x 25 = 16,380)?
 

Cavan

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2017
Messages
278
Those are adverts for GWR staff - you asked about SWR.

It's long winded as you seem confused about company you are applying for and what you are asking.
 

/Anon/

Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
14
Those are adverts for GWR staff - you asked about SWR.

It's long winded as you seem confused about company you are applying for and what you are asking.
Thought First group companies would be the same. Anyway, if Google was my friend in this particular instance, I wouldn't be asking the question here would I? I thought people who actually worked within the railway would have a better knowledge than Google would. There is not a single result on the matter on Google in regards to SWR

If I see a customer ambassador position that's £22,932 pro-rata per annum, does that mean £22,932 = 35 hours? Thought that was a fairly straight forward question myself, especially for people on a railway forum many of whom currently working on the railway with the same pro-rata system :|
 

crebbs1

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2018
Messages
164
Yeah that's why I'm confused, because my current job only counts 40 hours plus as full-time. I didn't realise this question would be so complicated haha. Can't find a single answer for it on Google. Just to clarify, if I see a customer ambassador position that's £22,932 pro-rata per annum, that means £22,932 = 35 hours. Therefore if I was working 25 hours, it would be £16,380 (22,932/35 = 655.2. 655.2 x 25 = 16,380)?

Yes exactly that.

A job would only say pro rata if your contract is for less than the full time hours. Every job would have a specific set hours which could be different for each specific role.
If a job had 35 hours contract as standard but you only get a contract for 25 hours, it would tell you the full time wage for 35 hours but state Pro-rata then you divide it like you’ve done.
 

Cavan

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2017
Messages
278
1.) No, as in all sectors, different companies (in this case TOCs) will have different terms and conditions, regardless of the "parent" company - this includes the standard working week. As you can see GWR is a 35hr week and for platform type jobs SWR is a 37hr weeks.

2.)Pro-rata salaries are not complicated. The job advert will state how many hours the job is per week, lets say a 25hr part time job on a 35hr week (for example fte of 22k) would give a salary about 15.7k.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
T
If I see a customer ambassador position that's £22,932 pro-rata per annum, does that mean £22,932 = 35 hours? Thought that was a fairly straight forward question myself, especially for people on a railway forum many of whom currently working on the railway :|

It is CONTRACTUALLY based. It will depend on what the TOC and the Specific role determines as 'Full time' As a Driver for my TOC, that is 35hrs. That has changed since I first started and a 35hr week for a Driver contract is becoming more common but it is not universal. Out of the 8 jobs currently advertised at my TOC 5 are 37hr week and 2 are 35hr weeks 1 is 'pro rata' but based on £35kpa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-time
Full-time employment is employment in which a person works a minimum number of hours defined as such by their employer. Full-time employment often comes with benefits that are not typically offered to part-time, temporary, or flexible workers, such as annual leave, sickleave, and health insurance.

United Kingdom: 35 hours (not formally defined),[6] 37.5 hours, or 40 hours contracts are all commonplace.

https://www.gov.uk/part-time-worker-rights
A part-time worker is someone who works fewer hours than a full-time worker. There is no specific number of hours that makes someone full or part-time, but a full-time worker will usually work 35 hours or more a week.
 

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2013
Messages
3,228
Customer Ambassadors are MS grade at GWR so unless otherwise stated, "full time" is 37hrs

A 25hr contract would be pro-rata on 37hrs. MS grades get no enhancements either, so all shifts are flat rate. You also get things like lieu days instead of extra AL for bank holidays. Contractual committment to work 8 RDs unpaid in a 13week period. (Debatable as to whether that's enforceable on the basis of Custom and Practice, as I've always been paid for my RDs as an MS graded staff member, but that's a debate for another day)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top