Almost all calls I have heard are for greater off-peak frequency when the paths are available. Things like extending Victoria to Dartford past an 8pm finish, which thankfully is happening. Plus more than 2 trains per hour on some Dartford lines in the evenings from London Bridge up to 4 an hour. These have no impact on long distance, and I don't think I've heard many suggesting more in the peaks as people know there isn't the paths nor the stock.
The South East of London may well be the North of the South but until it takes people living there as long as it would take people in the north of England to commute to London I would say it is a crazy comparison.
Any place where people are struggling to get on and travelling in very poor conditions, to the detriment of the economy and social need, should have greater investment. Why make it north v south? There's many areas that need better.
The pot spent on transport should be bigger, and not keeping the pot small so areas fight amongst each other for parts of it. But it take gov to change that, and pressure from the public. The UK can afford it, it just needs to re-focus priorities.
Any place where people are struggling to get on and travelling in very poor conditions, to the detriment of the economy and social need, should have greater investment. Why make it north v south? There's many areas that need better.
The pot spent on transport should be bigger, and not keeping the pot small so areas fight amongst each other for parts of it. But it take gov to change that, and pressure from the public. The UK can afford it, it just needs to re-focus priorities.

Almost all calls I have heard are for greater off-peak frequency when the paths are available. Things like extending Victoria to Dartford past an 8pm finish, which thankfully is happening. Plus more than 2 trains per hour on some Dartford lines in the evenings from London Bridge up to 4 an hour. These have no impact on long distance, and I don't think I've heard many suggesting more in the peaks as people know there isn't the paths nor the stock.
Sorry mate, I'm not so much trying to make this North V South as jokingly commenting on the fact this thread was started as a reaction to the Is The North Getting a Rough Deal thread.![]()
South Eastern have, with DafT's full encouragement, basically focussed on HighSpeed to the detriment of everything else.
I'm not sure that they are the poor relation though, they have the newest stock of any of the London commuter operators (with the exception of the self-enclosed c2c). The issue more seems to be what they are doing with the tools they have.
You have to remember that any increase in frequencies on the metro routes may have a detrimental effect on longer distance routes who will shout to high heaven about it due to them paying the higher fares.
Re: Denmark Hill, it just seems so elongated and deliberately slow - as you say, it's not 20mph but pretty much a standstill. Are there any plans to remedy or increase at all? It's pretty much always a clear run after all!
The loss of trains to Charing Cross via New Cross is not known to most passengers. They will think it is just a temp arrangement during the works.
Good point. Those spoilt, pampered baby-boomer princesses of Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells may well commute in the peaks, but off peak and weekend demand is all intra-London - and should be prioritised as such.
As someone who spent many years of my life travelling in to London from St Leonards I strongly object to the way in which you describe my friends and fellow passengers, of whom you clearly have little knowledge.
On the underlying issue I would point out that the near 62 mile journey to Charing Cross from Warrior Square takes 102" on the 0608, 97" on the 0631 and 104" on the 0706. Standard off-peak times are 89" on the hourly fast and 100" on the hourly slow. Time-keeping is not noticeably good. I have never been aware of any "prioritisation" on the sections shared with more local services (Sevenoaks-Orpington or on the up side of Hither Green).
Perhaps you would like to identify what further detriment you feel would be appropriate to Hastings Line running times and what benefit would thereby accrue to other passengers?
I was talking specifically about off peak and weekend demand - clearly being higher from the more populated London metro stations of Southeastern than from ye olde villages and dormitory towns of Kent, who receive a similar service.
Baby Boomers and their 'legacy' to subsequent generations is another discussion.
I'm sorry but I didn't mention St Leonards. I don't disagree with any of your facts or points, but you're talking about something else entirely.
On off peak I wasn't talking about 11am, but evenings and weekends (which I thought was clear, apologies if not) - and how the service drops off a cliff. Even though there will be more demand within London than without. The Catford Loop is ironically no worse off, due to terrible service at the best of times.
Maybe if elderly users paid, off peak services might be more accurately compensated.
Elderly users of train services in the vast majority of England do have to pay, and even those fortunate enough to have the London Freedom Pass have to pay full fare in the morning peak. How can you compensate an off peak service anyway?
/snip
It has always seemed a bit strange to me the way that the underground network seems to deny the existance of SE London though..
There are some places in the NW suburbs that are within walking distance of 3, 4 even 5 different tube lines.
Welcome to RailUK forums ScotGG. Your comment is very apt but some here seem to use any discussion to plead the north's 'we're the worst treated in the UK' complaint. Their solution would not only give them better services, but also penalise London and the SE as some sort of retribution.
There's a whole thread with over 1500 posts about the North's position where their posted points are debunked many times
Except on National Rail services operated by London Overground, plus all other TfL services are free in the morning peak.
Yes, I was referring to National Rail Services. As TfL absorb more routes into Overground then pensioners in the places covered will benefit, at a time when pass restriction gets greater in places outside London and restricted to the absolute minimum required by law. If you live in Cornwall, as I do, you'll suddenly find that even the bare minimum is less than before, because certain bus routes are deemed to be provided primarily for tourism, regardless of how many local people use them in the absence of viable alternatives! However, I'm not holding my breath for Cameron/Clegg/Miliband to come rushing with olive branches.
The Cornish need to start getting uppity and demanding more power, then the Westminster parties will throw stuff at you!
Same thing today as last week - SE are running lots of 4 car trains instead of 8 on the Greenwich line all the way up to the end of the day. Not good when the line is curtailed at Plumstead and thus only 4 trains an hour along the line instead of the normal 6 at Greenwich and 8 at Woolwich/Charlton.
4 (short) trains per hour instead of 8 at Charlton station today - when Charlton Athletic were at home against Watford.