PermitToTravel
Established Member
And funnily enough you will also find that you will often be locked inside a road coach.
When?!
And funnily enough you will also find that you will often be locked inside a road coach.
And funnily enough you will also find that you will often be locked inside a road coach.
If I catch a train on the Ffestiniog, Welsh Highland, Vale of Rheidol and the Talyllyn I get locked in the carriages. That is done for the safety of the passengers. Are you suggesting that they are wrong to do so?
And funnily enough you will also find that you will often be locked inside a road coach.
The last National Express coach I caught from here to Birmingham, the door was locked as soon as we moved off.
Yes, I actually find it quite concerning that there is no emergency release, though I'd probably (only just) fit out of a droplight. This is all the more concerning as they are wooden coaches.
Some coaches do have door locks that engage at a certain speed (about 5mph I think).
Some coaches do have door locks that engage at a certain speed (about 5mph I think).
I think the more relevant issue to address is whether there should be a mandatory evacuation threshold. 2 hours and if there's no obvious sign of improvement then the scene is turned over to the emergency services.
There isn't going to be a single right threshold. What would be appropriate is that after, say, 90 minutes, the TOC should review every 30 mins or so if it is appropriate to evacuate. Factors might include outside temp, proximity to station, likelihood of fix etc.
Not that I really use them, but don't London hackney cabs passenger doors lock at about that speed.
I read a news article earlier with BTP stating that some of those who bailed could be facing criminal procedures, but even then, I expect they will be let off lightly.
Far less than 90 minutes on any toiletless train.
Sadly the "railway authorities" have proved incapable of resolving some of these situations. The answer is not to lock passengers in carriages. It's for the "railway authorities" to accept that sometimes they need helpWhat makes you think that the "emergency services" (who exactly?) would be any more able to resolve the issue than the railway authorities?
If I catch a train on the Ffestiniog, Welsh Highland, Vale of Rheidol and the Talyllyn I get locked in the carriages. That is done for the safety of the passengers. Are you suggesting that they are wrong to do so?
And funnily enough you will also find that you will often be locked inside a road coach.
Perhaps you need to reconsider your statement?
Correct.There are exactly two ways to stop passengers self-evacuating:
You can do things to increase the length of time before self-evacuation happens - as mentioned on here repeatedly the principle one is communication. Update people regularly and be honest and you can gain hours.
- Get the train moving before they do
- Evacuate them before they do.
On a lot of units they share the same handset.It is possible to generate a test tone over the PA speakers on any train where the GSM-R interfaces with the PA, which should be pretty much any type of multiple unit. You can also use the same function of the GSM-R to make PA announcements using the GSM-R handset if the PA handset fails.
Absolutely. Nearly all the PA faults I have had occurred once in service and mostly software related which cutting in/out have resolved.Even if the time was allocated to do a full walk test in the depot, many PA defects arise because of problems with the connectors between the coaches and thus the problems only become apparent on the road as then movement of the train causes the electrical connections to move.
I agree, there is a big difference between a door being locked or a door being locked but with an emergency release, and I would not like to travel if the former was the case.If they do they will disengage when the coach stops or on use of any emergency handle when stationary if a failure means they don't automatically. That's not the same thing at all.
I agree, there is a big difference between a door being locked or a door being locked but with an emergency release, and I would not like to travel if the former was the case.
The FfR / WHR(C) does bother me in that regard. I don't understand why they did not fit an emergency release facility, say under a break-glass panel, or if nothing else a break-glass panel by each door with a carriage key inside. They are varnished wooden coaches pulled by steam locomotives and fire could start and spread quickly. Though I think the windows are single glazed so could be kicked through easily enough.
Unfortunately the first egress was after more like one hour. This then led to the switch off and the resulting 3-5 hour wait, with the knock on of further egresses.
EDIT - sorry re-reading, you’ve acknowledged that. I would still say the first egress was unreasonable, after an hour stuck on a heated, lit train with driver able to make announcements.
I can understand people exiting cold/dark trains when incommunicado much more.
after that, it was inevitable that it would now be a lot longer,Actually I heard it was nearer the 30 min mark when he decided to go homeafter that, it was inevitable that it would now be a lot longer,