- HS2 threads: It's such a waste of money to spend all this cash just so people can arrive at their destination twenty minutes earlier - we're not all time-obsessed - why is there such a focus on faster journeys
- Non-HS2 threads: It's such a scandal that the train journey time between two places isn't faster than the car - we should spend huge sums of money at speeding up journey times
Erm...
I could certainly see the possibilities in turning Ely into a "hub" station with "turn up and go" frequencies to Cambridge, Peterborough and (to a slightly lesser extent) Norwich (plus services to Kings Lynn/ Ipswich) - at the moment you've got a number of services passing through but not all well co-ordinated, a significant proportion of them are relatively long distance (and therefore not able to adjust to local passenger demands), it'll be hard to adjust the longer distance services (paths at Birmingham New Street or up the ECML to Grantham are probably set in stone), plus longer distance services mean less reliability.
The question is how much you can improve the infrastructure to take faster trains, given that the poor ground conditions mean speed restrictions on heavier trains like 222s - so I think that increased train length and a better hub/spoke arrangement would be the solution here - it wouldn't take much to give
at least four trains per hour to Peterborough/Cambridge and three trains to Norwich - so plenty opportunities for regional connections.
This feels like the kind of project that may have more chance of succeeding if it were backed by a strong local representative (English PTEs, Welsh Assembly, Scottish Government), but from what I've heard of the Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, I don't think he sounds particularly capable, so I won't hold my breath for many regional improvements.