• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it "Sugar Loaf" or "Sugar Loaf Halt"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,538
Possibly, I've still very occasionally heard East Coast guards refer to it as Edinburgh Haymarket!
I'm puzzled. Why shouldn't they be referred to as Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Haymarket? There's also Edinburgh Park. Waverley and Haymarket are abbreviations used by people who already know which city we are referring to.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,397
I'm puzzled. Why shouldn't they be referred to as Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Haymarket? There's also Edinburgh Park. Waverley and Haymarket are abbreviations used by people who already know which city we are referring to.

It doesn't put me up or down but Haymarket isn't an abbreviation, it's always just been "Haymarket." The station has never had the "Edinburgh" prefix unlike Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Park, although I can see why some might include it for clarity. I know it's only served by local services but in my head it's like saying "Glasgow Charing Cross" or "Glasgow Partick."
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
It doesn't put me up or down but Haymarket isn't an abbreviation, it's always just been "Haymarket." The station has never had the "Edinburgh" prefix unlike Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Park, although I can see why some might include it for clarity. I know it's only served by local services but in my head it's like saying "Glasgow Charing Cross" or "Glasgow Partick."

Certainly not only served by local services! Probably helpful for visitors who are not familiar with the geography, and quite a lot do disembark there if it is more convenient for their accommodation.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Where would the postman leave mail if that was the address ?:lol:

Next to the pile of fly-tipped rubbish, including a fridge-freezer, in the car park serving the 'mountain'. It's a long way to drive to dump your rubbish.

Or was it dumped by someone arriving by train? I'm thinking of a combination of the book 'Around Ireland with a fridge, Dixe Wills book 'Tiny Stations' and the Paul Merton TV series. Coming soon to community TV channel funded by an Arts Council Grant: All the request stops disposing of one of my household effects at each'.

I 'did' Sugar Loaf earlier this year. Nice views.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
I wonder how Crewe's automatic system would cope (same system as seen at London Victoria/East Croydon/Gatwick Airport/Brighton, IIRC) if they ever used it, as it's the only non-ATW station to see a HoW train.

Perhaps as well (i.e not very) as ATW's own system. I do my best to please the locals by attempting something close to correct pronunciation, but the automatic woman doesn't help.

Tonfanau - 'f' or 'v'? I used an 'f' this week on her instruction and the guard corrected me to a 'v', which is what I thought in the first place. Even further off topic - the group of teenagers that alighted at the same time also used an 'f' as in 'where the 'f' do we go now then'. :lol:
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Update - it's coming up to 4 years now, and I'm up to 2 requests for Sugar Loaf - the second of which I actually got to sell a ticket for! An SDR from Craven Arms if anybody is interested in such things.

It wasn't me, I bought mine at Shrewsbury from the barrier attendant, and got a free roll of wallpaper instead of a ticket. But that has a thread of it's own (Arriva replace ticket machines).
 

Adlington

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2016
Messages
1,043
It doesn't put me up or down but Haymarket isn't an abbreviation, it's always just been "Haymarket." The station has never had the "Edinburgh" prefix unlike Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Park
Not a prefix, but a postfix (in brackets) , at least on the Trainline website. See the attachment in this post.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
I'm puzzled. Why shouldn't they be referred to as Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Haymarket? There's also Edinburgh Park. Waverley and Haymarket are abbreviations used by people who already know which city we are referring to.

I'm reminded with this post of guards referring to "Manchester Deansgate"
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Perhaps as well (i.e not very) as ATW's own system. I do my best to please the locals by attempting something close to correct pronunciation, but the automatic woman doesn't help.

Tonfanau - 'f' or 'v'? I used an 'f' this week on her instruction and the guard corrected me to a 'v', which is what I thought in the first place. Even further off topic - the group of teenagers that alighted at the same time also used an 'f' as in 'where the 'f' do we go now then'. :lol:

In Welsh a single "f" is pronounced as a "v", and a double "ff" as an "f".

And to confuse things even more the "f" at the start of a word can mutate.............
Wonderful language; make english seem simple!
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Believe it or not, ATW's "English" system is probably the best English voice on the network at pronouncing the Welsh places (as it should be) - I don't think the mis-pronounciations are the fault of the voice, more ATW or whoever originally not giving her the correct pronounciations on the sheet. Many have been corrected since (Penychain, Bynea etc)
 

Hwnt52

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
48
Location
Cardiff
Believe it or not, ATW's "English" system is probably the best English voice on the network at pronouncing the Welsh places (as it should be) - I don't think the mis-pronounciations are the fault of the voice, more ATW or whoever originally not giving her the correct pronounciations on the sheet. Many have been corrected since (Penychain, Bynea etc)
Unfortunately, there are far too many mis-pronounciations generally due to the announcer at ATW not knowing where the stress occurs in the word. In Welsh, the stress generally falls on the last but one syllable. However, many Welsh place names are compound words made up of two or more simpler words and in such two-syllable place names the stress naturally falls on the last syllable. In correct Welsh we denote this by putting a hyphen between the syllables. Maesteg is a good example, made up of two words 'Maes' and 'teg' and should be written 'Maes-teg' with the stress on 'teg'. However, the announcer at ATW puts the stress on 'Maes' which grates on the ear.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top