• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to change a seat reservation but not the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
1,726
Hello

Daft question that I'd be grateful for help with...

My mum has an off peak return with XC, but didn't think to tell them she wants to be facing direction of travel and now wants to change her seat on one journey.

Is this possible? She's been to the station she booked the tickets at and they said no, but it's one of these small local stations that doesn't quite know how to deal with much more than a return to the nearest city, so we never quite trust them!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Don't ask them to change the reservation. Ask them to make another reservation as if you don't have one already, obviously don't tell them that you already have a reservation.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,541
Location
Yorkshire
What train is it and what's the journey?

It will be quite random whether the seat will be 'facing' or not! I am surprised XC advertise seats as facing/non-facing! There is, in my experience, a roughly 50/50 split and the computer has no way of knowing which way the train will be. This applies to just about every DMU operated service I can think of (apart from Adelantes into King's Cross - they do try to get the FC end at the buffers, but it often isn't the case!).

You can almost always rely on NXEA loco hauled, Virgin and East Coast to be the right way round. FGW usually, but I can think of numerous occasions when they aren't! EMT, again, they do try but it must be wrong at least a quarter or third of the time!

Some XC trains are HSTs. If it's one of those, there will be plenty of room.

Some XC trains have an additional Coach B, this coach is completely unreserved. Depending on where the train is boarded and how busy it is, again seats should be available.
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
I usually get the same time XC train between Derby and Sheffield on various days of the week and it seems pretty random as to which way round the set is, and not infrequently I find that the departure board at the station will say first class at the front and the train will turn up with first at the rear (or vice versa). I've learned the trick with voyagers that the coupler on the first class end is painted yellow, so I can spot when this happens before the train gets to the platform (I'm aiming for the quiet coach, which is always the opposite end to first class).
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Get one reservation facing each way. If it's busy someone will sit in the one she doesn't use before long and if it isn't it doesn't matter anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top