• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to be trapped by tube door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinlad

New Member
Joined
23 Dec 2009
Messages
1
(sorry if this has been discussed before)

I got into a train this morning when the door was closing. I forced opened the closing door (yep I was one of those people). Inside the tube, apart from having an aching arm, I was wondering what happens if the door crushes on someone, would it still carry on running?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
No, the driver would not drive with someone stuck in the door, I doubt it would close on you though
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
Tube doors can be quite vicious, but a train can not depart if a door is still open. Not to say it won't try to squash you before the driver reopens them though!
 

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
All power operated doors have a small tolerance on the closed position, so as to enable the doors to operate and be detected without becoming too sensitive and unreliable. I do not know what this tolerance is in respect of LUL doors.

What I can tell you is that it IS possible for thinnish items such a ladies handbag straps, coat belts, scarves and similar to become trapped in the door seal, and at worst for the person to be dragged along the platform.

There is a requirement that the Driver should observe the departing train until it is in the tunnel under LUL rules I believe.
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
(yep I was one of those people)

Then don't be.

If the door closes on your arm it will remain closed until the driver re-opens them. Unless all the doors are closed fully, the driver cannot motor.

However, as OT explained, thin items can get stuck whilst still giving the driver door interlock.

I have known of cases where a passenger has got onto the train, their dog hasnt, and has been dragged along the platform (and into the tunnel). The same has happened with bags, coats, and children, unfortunatley.

Although the driver should observe the platform as they leave, I should point out that not only do all drives have in cab CCTV which can be observed, (only a few lines do), but even where it is present it can be difficult to see someone being dragged along the platform when the monitors will be full of moving people anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top