foxwhiskers
New Member
- Joined
- 1 Jan 2014
- Messages
- 1
Hey there
Tommurrow I shall be taking a trip from Reading to St. Erth on a First Great Western HST. I was wondering if First Class is good on them, I hope there is free food involved 
Yes, a lot better than standard class!Hey thereTommurrow I shall be taking a trip from Reading to St. Erth on a First Great Western HST. I was wondering if First Class is good on them
Not much in the way of free food, but if there's a Travelling Chef, the prices are reasonable and the food is served to your seat.I hope there is free food involved![]()
Yes, a lot better than standard class!
The standard of accomodation is excellent - you get large reclining leather chairs. The food service is less impressive and is quite limited.
Is it just me, or is there an unfeasibly large number of people on this forum whose sole concern when it comes to first class travel seems to be the so-called freebies? Which are being paid for out of their fares...
On the rare occasions I shell out the money for first it's purely on the grounds of getting a decent travelling environment on services where I know standard is going to be rammed, not because I might get the odd 'free' drink or 'free' sandwich or snack box.
I don't get it either. I'd love to hear the moaning after some people on here take a trip on the continent in 1st. All that you get is the bigger seat and more space. On ICEs you get at seat service (and you have to pay for any drinks/food you order) and maybe some free Kinder sweets!
My understanding of the changes the government has asked for is that they are a lot less wide-ranging than the press is making out. They are limited to changing coach F to standard on the HST sets where it is currently first class.
Just different perspectives from different people. I find complimentary food offerings to be a great bonus of travelling First and adds to the experience, however without them it won't be the end of the world.
It's all about what you make of it.
Partitioned FC tends to be quite sucky as much of the noise carries through.
So whilst island gave a glimmer of hope it does indeed sound as bad as we thought it was. What a shame, one of the best First Class offerings on the railway nicely scuttled it seems.
Are they not doing anything about Greater Anglia's similarly large FC provision on IC sets? I guess not? What about VT?
Why just FGW?
Why has the continual significnat overcrowding on XC been ignored?
Since you haven't seen an FGW coach with a partition in it yet, how would you know noise would carry through?
There will still be a complete first class-only coach on every HST, so how on earth does that equate 'one of the best First Class offerings on the railway nicely scuttled'?
Whatever happened to a sense of proportion?
Why FGW? Because it's under enormous pressure from politicians who get their ears bent by constituents about overcrowded FGW trains, so want to be seen to be doing something, eg the MP for Maidenhead and Home Secretary, Theresa May. The Tories are keen to shore up their vote in the Reading seats, etc, etc...
So those of us who use Intercity trains for long distance comfortable travel are disadvantaged by those who use them for a 25 minute commute. Frustrating.
FGW HST standard class has already been spoiled by cramming in loads of seats to accomodate short distance commuters. By taking out a first class coach they will effectively price most passengers out of first class - few can afford walk on first class fares. Yet another example of modern train travelling becoming steadilly less enjoyable.
Since my book came out (The Next Station Stop - Fifty Years by Train) I've been contacted by quite a few readers all saying that inter city trains of 30 year ago were better to travel on than modern ones.
Goatboy said:For most of us, the end of readily available Advance First tickets means the end of travelling First Class with FGW.
They may well have been 'better to travel on', but even 30 years ago, the numbers of people using the railways were nothing like they are now and commuting into London from the likes of Swindon, Newbury, Didcot, Oxford, Reading, etc simply wasn't on the same scale.
You can wallow in nostalgia all you like but FGW has to deal with the world as it is now and it is in the mass transit business, a business fuelled by 125mph trains encouraging longer-haul commuting. The HSTs were intended to be long-distance expresses but they were also the engineers of modern travel habits by slashing journey times to places further from London. They have had to be adapted to handle those changes.
What else do you suggest they should have done?
He doesn't need to come up with answers to feel aggreived. The HST's were, as you say, intended to be long distance express trains linking distant points to London. So it's therefore understandable if those of us who use them for this intention find the travelling experience constantly eroded by the needs of the legions of people who made the choice to chase London salaries whilst living further out..
Perhaps some nice suburban units for the Oxford, Newbury and Reading commuters and non-stop operation for the HST's(I appreciate thats unrealistic, obviously).