I don't know why certain people are enraged about having to pay to use a public toilet. Having to pay has been a feature for years, hence the expression "spend a penny".
I don't know why certain people are enraged about having to pay to use a public toilet. Having to pay has been a feature for years, hence the expression "spend a penny".
Sounds an adventure . Pakistan , thats far . Any hauliers get to India ?
I seem to recall the toilets at Nuremberg Hbf cost 1 euro, but the receipt doubled as a 50c voucher redeemable at some of the station concessions.
A few months ago I went to use the toilets at Manchester Victoria and found that a homeless man had a nice little scheme going- he held the turnstile back with his hand and asked for some change from users. I'll also admit to using my MetroCard (when I had one) to pop through the barriers at Leeds, use the toilet and then come out again...
Good point as its a public right if way through the station. I don't think the loos are part of the public right of way but I can't imagine one would be barred from using them when they hold a bridge pass - assuming that is in operation at that time.Woking is inside the gateline, whereas Guildford is outside I think (even if it's inside you can get in without a ticket)
I've done something similar a few times in the past at Birmingham New Street now that I have a Network pass, although even beforehand, I've had station staff let me through the barrier when I've needed the loos.
Not on a station but in Whitby the really evil but free public loos at the bandsatand have been replaced with a decently clean one with both contactless and coins accepted.I'm OK with paying for that reason (free ones always seem to be disgusting) but I do wish there was a contactless pad to avoid faffing with change.
Sound mostly down to poor management of the facilities as I’ve used the free ones at St Pancras several times and they’ve always been in reasonable nic.Agreed. Brightons toilets went free, and went from clean and all working to trashed within a few weeks..
Sound mostly down to poor management of the facilities as I’ve used the free ones at St Pancras several times and they’ve always been in reasonable nic.
Been a year or two, so sounds like they’ve gone downhill then .I think they're a bit rough, to be honest.
I think they're a bit rough, to be honest.
I’ve always found those which charge to be much cleaner and more pleasant environments (they don’t seem hang outs for junkies)
Alternatively you can buy a radar key on eBay (and similar) for a couple of quid and use the disabled toilet for free. This isn’t something I’d advocate, or whether it’s morally right is for you to decide.
I'm OK with paying for that reason (free ones always seem to be disgusting) but I do wish there was a contactless pad to avoid faffing with change.
Whilst a disabled parking space is specifically there for a reason .a 'Disabled' toilet is a toilet that can be used by the disabled. I darsay you use one everytime you use the facilities at a service station One toilet, does all
Nothing morally wrong in using one, it is a toilet...end of....there is no notices forbidding the use by able bodied people, it is just that most think that. This was explained when i first took up a job driving old biddies and mobility impaired people around. And YES i do have a RADAR key for my use if reqd
I love your idea,but surely it would be possible now, just replacing the coin gates with hybrid ticket/contactless card/coin gates.They should be free if you have a rail ticket; in the future when most are on contactless cards that will be quite easy to arrange.
Only if they're not looked after properly. Plenty of places have free toilets open to the public without having to buy something, i.e. shopping centres, supermarkets, cinemas, shops, retail parks, hotels, airports, hospitals, car parks, motorway service stations, etc and most I've been in have been reasonably clean, tidy and well maintained. I've never understood why train stations charge for the same - it's just profiteering. Not just that, but last time I paid to use the ones at Euston, they were in a disgusting state so it's not as if having to pay guarantees them to be in a good condition.
I think they're a bit rough, to be honest.
I seem to remember that when I was a lad access to the urinals was free but entry to a cubicle was chargeable. As any need to use the latter involved much more physical contact with the facilities (and more attention to detail re cleaning) plus of course the need for the provision (hopefully!) of toilet paper, this distinction always seemed reasonable and sensible to me.
Or go on the train before you get to the station...
I've had people question me for using a disabled loo.Whilst a disabled parking space is specifically there for a reason .a 'Disabled' toilet is a toilet that can be used by the disabled. I darsay you use one everytime you use the facilities at a service station One toilet, does all
Nothing morally wrong in using one, it is a toilet...end of....there is no notices forbidding the use by able bodied people, it is just that most think that. This was explained when i first took up a job driving old biddies and mobility impaired people around. And YES i do have a RADAR key for my use if reqd
If I'm going to pay for a toilet, it might as well be one where I can have a picturesque view while taking a dumpWhitby was one of the first seaside resorts to introduce a pay toilet, looking over the harbour near the Co-op.