Has the whole concept of price segmentation escaped you?
I know it's been explained to you before, but let's try again. I think all posters on here would like multi-operator tickets, and in many places, they exist. The question is whether they should attract a premium as, in most walks of life, something that has more functionality usually attracts a price premium. Surely you recognise this as a thing?
If you then decide that you wish to have the enhanced product at a higher price, should someone that doesn't need that enhanced functionality be able to purchase a lesser product at a lesser price. Essentially, you can have Tesco or Tesco Value but you would seem not to want people to have the choice. Or that Tesco Value didn't exist but that you could have Tesco at the Value price. Hey, wouldn't we all want sirloin for the price of mince!
Agreed
I guess I'm lucky to live in an area (Sheffield) where I have the option of day/week tickets for just one operator or for multiple operators - I wish everyone had such choices
It's funny that we have rail pages here where the Received Wisdom seems to be that it's good to have price differentiation on certain corridors to grow the market (e.g. if you force everyone to pay for "all operator" tickets between London and Birmingham then fewer people will travel, as some of the price conscious folk who currently accept the slower Chiltern/LNW routes won't be prepared to pay for the "normal" tickets - we need to have the choice of saving money on a Northern 150 to travel between cities instead of a faster TPE service)...
...but on the bus pages the Received Wisdom seems to be that enabling passengers to save money with a one-operator ticket is A Bad Thing
Route specific day/weekly tickets seem to have gone out of fashion in recent years, but I used to be able to buy a weekly ticket only valid on certain Mainline services (e.g. a "Red" one for the 53/75/76 corridor between Ecclesfield and Lowedges) or a city-wide Mainline ticket or a city-wide ticket valid on all operators - each priced accordingly, letting people save cash by only buying just enough rather than forcing them to pay full whack for an "all you can eat" option
Similarly, I can choose whether I want to pay for just buses or include trams too
Enthusiasts like network-wide tickets that can allow us to travel on dozens of different routes/ several operators, but a lot of the bus passenger demographic are fairly price sensitive. Whilst a city wide all operator ticket seems to be much better value than a route specific/operator specific one, a number of people on the bus might not be able to take advantage of that (in the way that I can buy ten tins of beans at a much cheaper price per unit than buying them individually but if I only have a quid in my pocket then I can only afford a single tin)
We accept a world where mobile phone contracts allow the choice of mega data bundles or Pay As You Go for the people who can't afford that, we accept supermarkets selling us different levels of "luxury", we accept only having to pay for what you actually use with several other markets
There's also the issue that a lot of bus passengers are just doing a simple return journey (e.g. from home to work/shop and back again), they don't have time or need for ten different routes - it's nice that there's the option to make multiple journeys but forcing people to pay for the freedom to tour the entire city is meaningless for many people
Plus there's the problem that, if you force operators to accept tickets sold by other companies (that don't attract the premium paid for PTE tickets) you are going to make some services uneconomical - e.g. at the moment I might have the choice of Corporate Coaches operating an all day service but with a competitive daytime service from Speedy Bus as well - if I know that I can buy a Speedy Bus ticket in the morning and return home in the evening on any Corporate Coaches service then that's great for me but it now means that the big operator are effectively allowing people on board for free, meaning they are getting less revenue, meaning the validity of their evening service may be called into question (and evening services are already a struggle in a world of pub/ bingo closures etc). Heck, some operators may game the system by only operating in the morning peak, why bother to run at tea time when you've got the money from flogging lots of "day tickets" in the morning, might as well let some other sucker take these people home without getting paid for it!
Again though, this is another thread where some people are taking the attitude that "this works in one place, so should be rolled out as standard across the UK" - it doesn't work like that - some cities have different price elasticities to others - some cities may have two operators that can trust each other to work together for a shared network but others have an uneasy relationship and forcing them to accept each other's tickets for no extra money would cause services to be reduced