• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Investing in public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

soil

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2012
Messages
2,311
Any shareholders here?

There are a number of big UK-based companies:

FirstGroup (FGP)
National Express (NEX)
Go-Ahead Group (GOG)
Stagecoach (SGC)

All riding fairly high at the moment with the exception of FirstGroup which is seen as something of a basket case having cut dividends + made a rights issue.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Yes, I do, though I'm reluctant to refer to it as "investment". I think of it as an exposure to risk, and not as an investment!

I have made many 'investments' on the markets, and several of these have been highly speculative in global growth markets, and with some of them in safer sectors, but I view the 'transportation' sector as a tracker of the baseline of the European economy.

I'm guessing that its 3 years since I last posted a graph or Company statement to the markets on here. Maybe I've lost interest, or . . . . maybe the sector doesn't do anything interesting any more!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I'm not a direct shareholder in any transport companies, but perhaps through a couple of funds that I've invested in have some shares in them, but I'm not sure.
 

soil

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2012
Messages
2,311
Unfortunately if you have money it is exposed to risk. If invested in shares, the shares can decline in value. If you stick it in the bank, you can find that inflating asset prices leave you far behind.

Actually FirstGroup have had an interesting year from an investment point of view.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top