• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness to Thurso - how busy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirstyD

New Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2
i am doing a trip of the far North of Scotland and have just booked tickets for myself and parents in mid November...unfortunately I’ve just realised I mistakenly booked seats facing backwards! Do the trains from Inverness to Thurso and back tend to get very busy or might there be a possibility to move seats?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,397
It won't be busy that time of year.

I was on the 1041 Inverness-Wick last Friday and people had to stand until Dingwall, so the services can be busy on occasion especially during the school holidays and at the south end of the line. The unreserved coach on all Far North Line trains is coach A of the two coach unit.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,313
The good news is that whatever seats you have been allocated, you will be facing forwards for at least some of the journey!
 

Esker-pades

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2015
Messages
3,784
Location
Beds, Bucks, or somewhere else
ScotRail tend to shove all the reservations in one corner of a carriage. I rarely use my reserved seat on that line.
Mid-November is hardly high season, so you should be able to find a nice table to yourself.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
The train may be fully seated until around Ardgay or so. After that it should die down stop by stop, until you reach Thurso, whereupon you may be one of only about three or four passengers on the train.
 

KirstyD

New Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2
Thank you all for your replies, that's really helpful and good to know that there should be a reasonable amount of flexibility in moving seats, particularly as we get further North. I was so fixated on ensuring I booked the tickets for the right date and time that I totally missed the part where I should have chosen forward facing window seats! Very excited about the trip as will be doing the Inverness-Thurso route as a day trip and then the Kyle of Lochalsh route the following day. Just hope it all runs to plan!
 

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
Unless you get bustituted between strathcarron and Kyle - see thread in the infrastructure section.
 

mikey9

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2013
Messages
84
If you get the 17:12 Northbound from Inverness M-F then this is the only Far North train usually full to standing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top