• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail Passholder numbers - special requirement from ItaliaRail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Trying to buy some reservations for a 2 bed cabin on Inter City Notte but ItaliaRail seem to want a different number from normal....

"Please add your Passholder number below. This is the "Order Number" listed at the top right of your Mobile Pass email confirmation. It begins either with EU or IN, followed by a series of numbers. Example: EU12345678… or IN12345678…."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this - my number is in the format: A1ABCD and thus is rejected by ItaliaRail.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
The 6-character number is the mobile pass number, and that is not the order number. The oder number is mention in the confirmation mail and in the order overview in your Interrail account.
Which train are you trying to book? Almost all Trenitalia trains can by booked via Rail Europe (desktop website) or ÖBB without any booking fee.
 

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
The 6-character number is the mobile pass number, and that is not the order number. The oder number is mention in the confirmation mail and in the order overview in your Interrail account.
Which train are you trying to book? Almost all Trenitalia trains can by booked via Rail Europe (desktop website) or ÖBB without any booking fee.
Thanks for your input.

There's no order number in my confirmation email - just a Confirmation Number and Order ID. This may be because I order via - I think - National Rail Interrail. Their email address being, "no-reply@myinterrail.co.uk". (I do this to get a 6% Quidco refund). For the same reason there is no order overview in my Interrail Account...

I couldn't find the train - #765 - on either Rail Europe or ÖBB.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thank you. I tried that but it doesn't generate a number that ItaliaRail likes...
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
There's no order number in my confirmation email - just a Confirmation Number and Order ID. This may be because I order via - I think - National Rail Interrail.
Right, that may be the reason. Italiarail also accepts their example order numbers. In any case, I've seen before that they have difficulties with newer pass cover numbers (the order numbers are very recent for Italiarail).
I couldn't find the train - #765 - on either Rail Europe or ÖBB.
That's a night train, so that excludes the ÖBB website. Rail Europe will show that train if you enter the right 'via' station (under More options), e.g. Taranto. Rail Europe can't book couchettes in a shared compartment though, so the only online option for that is Italiarail. Use https://app.italiarail.com/ to have only a €1 booking fee (the URL Seat61 mentions currently has a €3.50 fee - it used to be the other way around).
If you want to book a single sleeper compartment (€122), then also check regular fares on trenitalia.com, since (Super)economy fares can be around €80 or €90 for a single.
 
Last edited:

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Thanks very much for your further input.

I tried entering a "via" station on the Rail Europe site but then it wants to split the reservations into 2 and charge 2 reservations. But then I tried it again without the "via" and it showed the train I wanted. However it didn't have the 2 different options for a 2 bed cabin that shows on the ItaliaRail site.

1726067483737.png

(the 2nd option says that the 2 bed has a private bathroom)

1726067581161.png

So I used your Interrail Link - https://app.italiarail.com/ - and interestingly, it has a couple of different prices:

1726067714690.png

but still charged a €3.50 booking fee...

I used pass numbers that started I11 and finished with the last digits of the confirmation numbers in my pass confirmation email so at least I can point to them if need be..

So all good but as ever it's super complicated.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
I'll wait to confirm that there is no toilet/shower before I ask them for the €18 difference back but will manage without if need be.

It was https://app.italiarail.com/ that I used and I paid €3.50.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
I'll wait to confirm that there is no toilet/shower before I ask them for the €18 difference back but will manage without if need be.
Just curious, what did you pay then? A normal Double should be €58 per person. The €47 variety is not bookable if you try. Italiarail seem to charge €56 for a normal Double however, no idea how that works.
It was https://app.italiarail.com/ that I used and I paid €3.50.
Strange - I can still see only €1 there. Maybe it's related to some cookies: after deleting cookies for app.italiarail.com, I had prices in USD and a booking fee of 5 USD. Then I deleted cookies for partners.italiarail.com and still saw a €3.50 booking fee there, and the correct €58 price of a double. Then I went back to app.italiarail.com, had prices in € again and the booking fee of €1 was back. And a Double was €56 there. I put a booking in my cart and noticed there was no 'seat' assignment. The booking on partners.italiarail.com did have a 'seat' assignment. It all feels a bit wonky.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
I'll wait to confirm that there is no toilet/shower before I ask them for the €18 difference back but will manage without if need be.

It was https://app.italiarail.com/ that I used and I paid €3.50.
That misdescription has existed for some years: I found it on the Milan-Sicily route around 2020 (which now has Excelsior berths but didn't then).
The only ensuite berths are on the 3 Sicily services (and the new tourist train).

Re the "order number" - I predict it is the 8-digit number on the email preceded by IN.
 
Last edited:

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Just curious, what did you pay then? A normal Double should be €58 per person. The €47 variety is not bookable if you try. Italiarail seem to charge €56 for a normal Double however, no idea how that works.

Strange - I can still see only €1 there. Maybe it's related to some cookies: after deleting cookies for app.italiarail.com, I had prices in USD and a booking fee of 5 USD. Then I deleted cookies for partners.italiarail.com and still saw a €3.50 booking fee there, and the correct €58 price of a double. Then I went back to app.italiarail.com, had prices in € again and the booking fee of €1 was back. And a Double was €56 there. I put a booking in my cart and noticed there was no 'seat' assignment. The booking on partners.italiarail.com did have a 'seat' assignment. It all feels a bit wonky.
I paid €116 + €3.50 and remember a message saying that the price had been corrected......
 

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Yes, we do have coach and berth numbers - 32 & 36 - it's described on the email as a 2 bed cabin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top