• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International trains and UK trains in the same day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

159jim

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2009
Messages
347
Location
Salisbury/Bournemouth
Have you seen both international trains and uk trains in the same day?

If so, i'd like you to tell me what the last type of train you saw at your International location before you returned home, and the first train you saw ON THE SAME DAY in the uk.

To start off, in August 2009 I saw a DB class BR143 at Berlin Schonefeld at aound 7 at night, and returning to LGW, I saw a class 319 at Gatwick station.

Thanks,
Jim.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,406
Location
Bedford
Last train on the continent - Eurostar at Paris

First train here - the same Eurostar at St Pancras :P
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Many times - I've done about 30 day trips on Eurostar since it started, so couldn't really list them.

Quite often, however, I'll clock numbers in the depot at Lille and get something at Ashford or Frethun on the same run, either direction. I've even clocked Le Shuttle trains actually at the tunnel portal, which begs the quesion - I assume we do regard Le Shuttle as an international train?
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Living in Kent it is easy for me to have a day trip to Paris or Brussells which I have done many times for example.
Next month I shall be on
0955 Ashford International- Paris Gare du Nord arriving 1247
returning
1843 depart Paris Gare du Nord and Ashford International arrive 1936
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
Even in Asia it is possible to see international trains and domestic UK trains in the same day. Last year I had an afternoon flight from Hong Kong to Heathrow and was in Kowloon in the Asian morning. There was a China Railways service to Changsha heading north at about 10am local time. Anyway off to the airport for the 1450 or so local time flight CX255 to UK arriving UK time at about 8pm. So the international train would be a China Railways loco ( I think it was a Dongfeng 11 but can't be sure) then a Heathrow Express class 332.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
In the days before dedicated jointly owned stock on the Enterprise workings, you saw International and UK trains in the same locations several times every day between Belfast and Dublin.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Even before the Channel Tunnel there was always the SNCF Night Ferry stock stabled at Victoria during the daytime.
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Have you seen both international trains and uk trains in the same day?
Far too many times to list, I have probably been abroad over 100 times in the last 15 years to several countries.

Most recent one was earlier this month:

3419 Braga to Porto São Bento (Portugal)
one Metro ride and one plane journey later
377 510 Gatwick Airport to St. Pancras

That is for haulage - don't do spotting.
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
This one's pretty much a doddle for anyone who flys to anywhere that uses railway shuttles to/from the airport, isn't it? ;)
Here's a few from me anyhow...
  • NS Koploper, SNCB loco-hauled set, BR Class 373, and a BR Class 421 - All on the way back from my third BAL-SAGOTH Ritual in Hengelo. <D
  • BR Class 317 and DBAG/HVV Typ 474 - Any time I've flown from Stansted to Hamburg or vice-versa! :)
  • BR Class 317 and VR IC1/2 - Any time I've flown from Stansted to Helsinki (Via Tampere) or vice-versa! :)
Funnily enough, I always seem to get my best and most diverse stock coverage on those trips I make to attend BAL-SAGOTH Rituals... <D
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Likewise from a trip to Germany last year.

Heading over, I was on a Pendolino to Birmingham International from MK followed by a couple of S-Bahn's from Stuttgart to Herrenberg.
On the return it was S-Bahn's to the airport and then from Birmingham International via Pendolino, 2 Voyagers (broke the journey at Derby to avoid a 55 min wait at New Street, so also saw some Meridians and HST's etc) and a Northern Rail Class 143 (I think) back up to Yorkshire
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Go to Belfast Central station, you will see both.
 
Last edited:

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
I can recall going down to Dover Priory from Charing Cross by BR emu and then getting on a SNCF Turbotrain to Paris Nord at Boulogne Aeroglisseur. On the way back, Nord Region BB?? to Calais Aeroglisseur, then BR emu from Folkestone Hoverport. Around 1980.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top