• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International rail freight - who to contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Mods, feel free to move this if it ought to be in another section.

As part of my work, I'm trying to get shipping quotes for moving 5,000te of baled biomass from Poland (area west and south of Gdansk) to the UK. This is proving tricky. Lorries across the continent are an option but very expensive, so we have been speaking to shipping companies. This is seemingly cheaper but encountering numerous issues such as ports not able to handle the material in bulk (there is an option to containerise). Now I have another shipping agent saying he can't even quote because all of his Polish hauliers are busy moving containers that are flowing into Poland by rail from China for distribution around Europe.

That's given me an idea - load containers onto a train in Poland and unload in the UK. I have no idea how feasible this would be or how to even begin to make arrangements. I guess there are companies that specialise in this sort of thing but who would be best to speak to?
It'll need moving in spring 2021 and is a one-off (albeit the 5,000te can be split into smaller consignments). I think they are likely to be high-cube containers if we go down that route.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2015
Messages
4,914
Without wishing to advertise one company against another, I would suggest you start with DB, who have operations in the UK and continental Europe.

 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,950
Location
London
This is entirely feasible, although here we'd be more likely to describe the likely freight route.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
I am no expert on Channel Tunnel freight, but I am aware there is relatively little of it. However, it should be possible to get your containers to Daventry at least.

Failing that, you could consider using rail for the trunk haul across mainland Europe and then switching to ferry - Brexit issues might come into play though.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
I am no expert on Channel Tunnel freight, but I am aware there is relatively little of it. However, it should be possible to get your containers to Daventry at least.

Failing that, you could consider using rail for the trunk haul across mainland Europe and then switching to ferry - Brexit issues might come into play though.
Containers aren't brilliant for baled biomass because you end up with a lot of empty volume, that's just not quite big enough to gat another layer of bales in. It could work if the transport cost was low enough to compensate for the lower payload. Ideally they'd just be strapped onto flat waggons (this is how they are transported by lorry) but I doubt that's allowable, certainly not through the tunnel!
Without wishing to advertise one company against another, I would suggest you start with DB, who have operations in the UK and continental Europe.

Thanks, have put an enquiry in and waiting to hear back...
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Indeed I think someone like DB Cargo or more likely DB Schenker would be a good first port of call.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Containers aren't brilliant for baled biomass because you end up with a lot of empty volume, that's just not quite big enough to gat another layer of bales in. It could work if the transport cost was low enough to compensate for the lower payload. Ideally they'd just be strapped onto flat waggons (this is how they are transported by lorry) but I doubt that's allowable, certainly not through the tunnel!
Didn't realise containers weren't ideal, sorry. In which case my thought about conventional rail to a North Sea port might be more relevant.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,965
Indeed I think someone like DB Cargo or more likely DB Schenker would be a good first port of call.

I'd actually try PKP Cargo as well. They're having a nightmare of a time recently, and they might offer a significant discount to get the business, even if it goes via a different carrier.
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,460
Location
Amersfoort, NL
PKP Cargo would probably at least be able to provide transport to a North Sea port, as they are active in The Netherlands and Belgium as well. Though they appear to have only three locomotives capable to run on the Dutch network.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top