• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting journey on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Not sure if this is quite the right place for this, but there's great wisdom here.

I've got about £30 in RTVs to spend, and also some vouchers (about 70 quid's worth) to spend on Premier Inn or Marriott hotels.

I'm after an interesting overnighter travelling by train from Grimsby Town that won't go too far above budget for the train travel. I'll sort out the hotel

Now, it could either be just for me, in which case it could end up anywhere and I'll happily walk quite significant distances for the hotel (which would likely be a Premier inn), or for my son also, who is only seven but likes to visit cities, enjoys travelling by train (but not for hours on end), and would probably end up staying in a Marriott (and me paying the extra) so he can swim and lord it around like little Lord Fauntleroy, if one were available, but is happy enough with a PI if not.

If I'm travelling with the boy, I've got an F&F railcard to play with. In both circumstances, I'm happy buying an advance ticket if I don't have to leave for the return too early. It'll probably be a Saturday night. I'll top up the budget with some money, but not too much.

Any suggestions?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
You could get to Durham or Newcastle with your son for under £30 (through Advances + railcard) on Saturday 23 September returning the next day. The Marriott in Durham is double the value of your vouchers, but the Marriotts in Gosforth Park (northern edge of Newcastle) or Sunderland are just over the £70 for a twin room without breakfast.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Liverpool or Manchester?

If you book some TPE advances (a few weeks ahead) it will be around £25-40
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
You could get to Durham or Newcastle with your son for under £30 (through Advances + railcard) on Saturday 23 September returning the next day. The Marriott in Durham is double the value of your vouchers, but the Marriotts in Gosforth Park (northern edge of Newcastle) or Sunderland are just over the £70 for a twin room without breakfast.

Newcastle's always a nice option. Is Gosforth Park on the Metro?
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Its a right ole hike from the metro.
Theres a marriot hotel next to the metrocentre, 5 mins walk from the the station there, dunno bout the prices to stay, trains fairly regular to Newcastle. Time it right, you could get a scotrail 156 too, instead of a bouncing bomb(142)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top