I thought quite hard about where to put this. but as its a current question I plumped for here.
I am doing indexing for timetableworld(dot)com.
So I am examining bus timetables from 1960 - 1974
Most timetables have many pages about rail/road ticket availability. It seems you could travel out by bus with a return ticket. But then you could opt to make the return journey by rail, after paying a supplement. But only for certain journies, which were specified in the bus timetables. You could also travel out by train, and return by bus, but dont think you got a refund!
So back to 2020. Do we think such a facility would boost public transport use today? Particularly in areas with infrequent services*. It would probably break current competition law - so that would need new legislation. Who would use such a facility? And would it make money for the train and bus industries?
Its possible in some areas. For instance a West Yorkshire bus and rail day rover would allow out and return by different modes.
* I thought the 580/581/582 Skipton - Settle - Lancaster, and the Northern Skipton-Settle-Lancaster train service.
I am doing indexing for timetableworld(dot)com.
So I am examining bus timetables from 1960 - 1974
Most timetables have many pages about rail/road ticket availability. It seems you could travel out by bus with a return ticket. But then you could opt to make the return journey by rail, after paying a supplement. But only for certain journies, which were specified in the bus timetables. You could also travel out by train, and return by bus, but dont think you got a refund!
So back to 2020. Do we think such a facility would boost public transport use today? Particularly in areas with infrequent services*. It would probably break current competition law - so that would need new legislation. Who would use such a facility? And would it make money for the train and bus industries?
Its possible in some areas. For instance a West Yorkshire bus and rail day rover would allow out and return by different modes.
* I thought the 580/581/582 Skipton - Settle - Lancaster, and the Northern Skipton-Settle-Lancaster train service.