• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intention to Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
Intention to Prosecute



Hi all,

I’d really appreciate your help with this matter.


I recently received a letter from Govia Thameslink stating their intention to prosecute after I was caught short-faring. The letter only mentions the specific incident on the day I was caught, but this isn’t my first time doing it. I deeply regret my actions, and since being caught, I have never engaged in such behavior again.

The letter states that I should be honest and factual in my reply. Should I disclose my past instances of short-faring, even though they were not mentioned in the letter?

I’d appreciate any advice on how to proceed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Could you show us the letter please, with your person details and the reference number obsured? Then people will be able to advise further.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
Here's the letter sent to me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've looked through the forum on how to make an appeal, i'd be happy if you could look through this

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.

I take full responsibility for this mistake and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I am truly sorry for the negative effect this has had on the rail network, its hardworking staff, and the honest passengers who adhere to ticketing rules. I sincerely assure you that I will never repeat this offense and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to cover any administrative costs incurred during this investigation, as well as any fines or outstanding fares you deem appropriate.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for my wrongdoing and for any inconvenience this has caused. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in resolving this matter fairly.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXXX

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I need help please ASAP
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-05 at 09.48.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-05 at 09.48.50.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
Here's the letter sent to me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've looked through the forum on how to make an appeal, i'd be happy if you could look through this

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.

I take full responsibility for this mistake error of judgement and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I am truly sorry for the negative effect this has had on the rail network, its hardworking staff, and the honest passengers who adhere to ticketing rules. I sincerely assure you that I will never repeat this offense behaviour and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to cover any pay the outstanding fare together with the administrative costs incurred during this investigation, as well as any fines or outstanding fares you deem appropriate.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my wrongdoing and for any inconvenience this has caused. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration of my asking to resolve this matter out of court.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXXX

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I need help please ASAP
Please see suggested changes either struck through or bolded. Please make sure you use British English spellings.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
Thank you for your response @Titfield, I really appreciate
This is the updated version below

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.

I take full responsibility for this error of judgement and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I assure you that I will never repeat this behaviour and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare together with any administrative costs incurred during this investigation.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my wrongdoing. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in allowing me to resolve this matter out of court.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXX

Could you help me look through the highlighted paragraph?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for the response
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
I think it is good to go. I am assuming that the facts in the highlighted paragraph are correct.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
I think it is good to go. I am assuming that the facts in the highlighted paragraph are correct.
Is it necessary to mention that I boarded a Southeastern Railway service from Mottingham to London Bridge before taking the Thameslink service to Cambridge?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I did tap in my card for that btw
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
Is it necessary to mention that I boarded a Southeastern Railway service from Mottingham to London Bridge before taking the Thameslink service to Cambridge?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I did tap in my card for that btw

I dont think so. To me it just adds complexity - you want the recipient to think "ok apologises, shows contrition, will always pay in the future", and then sends back an offer of an out of court settlement".
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,317
Location
Reading
Reading that letter, I ask myself "How did you get into London Bridge station?" - you're not telling them the full story, are you? Did you tap in and incur a charge for an incomplete journey? Or did you really make a longer unpaid-for journey that you still haven't declared?
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
I dont think so. To me it just adds complexity - you want the recipient to think "ok apologises, shows contrition, will always pay in the future", and then sends back an offer of an out of court settlement".
Alright

Thank you so much

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Reading that letter, I ask myself "How did you get into London Bridge station?" - you're not telling them the full story, are you? Did you tap in and incur a charge for an incomplete journey? Or did you really make a longer unpaid-for journey that you still haven't declared?
I did board a train from Mottingham to London Bridge, I don't need barriers to board the Thameslink Service to Cambridge

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I dont think so. To me it just adds complexity - you want the recipient to think "ok apologises, shows contrition, will always pay in the future", and then sends back an offer of an out of court settlement".
One last question: Should I type my response, print it out, and attach it to the letter, or write it by hand on the back of the letter?
 
Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
Alright

Thank you so much

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I did board a train from Mottingham to London Bridge, I don't need barriers to board the Thameslink Service to Cambridge

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


One last question: Should I type my response, print it out, and attach it to the letter, or write it by hand on the back of the letter?

Better to type and attach making sure that you have reference number on the response and that on the back of the letter you have been sent, make sure it says "please see attached response".
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,797
I did board a train from Mottingham to London Bridge, I don't need barriers to board the Thameslink Service to Cambridge
Was that without a ticket? As starting at London Bridge without a scanned ticket is difficult to believe I tend to think you should state where you started.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
You aren't required to incriminate yourself and as you've only been asked about the incident on the day you were caught it is fine to only mention that incident in your reply. Do be aware that GTR may research your onine ticket purchasing history and if this reveals that you have short fared on a frequent basis then the might contact you in the future to ask you about this and seek recompense.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,317
Location
Reading
Was that without a ticket? As starting at London Bridge without a scanned ticket is difficult to believe I tend to think you should state where you started.
That's my view. If you tapped in at Mottingham as you say, where did you tap out? Get the journey record from the TfL website or app and include it to show the first part of the journey was paid for. If you tapped in but not out, then things get a lot more interesting as you might have had a valid ticket for more of your journey than you realised (with the potential for a slightly lower settlement). Did you even tap in with a valid zonal season ticket?
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
That's my view. If you tapped in at Mottingham as you say, where did you tap out? Get the journey record from the TfL website or app and include it to show the first part of the journey was paid for. If you tapped in but not out, then things get a lot more interesting as you might have had a valid ticket for more of your journey than you realised (with the potential for a slightly lower settlement). Did you even tap in with a valid zonal season ticket?
Thanks for the response. I've gone through my payment card history, and I didn't tap in on that day. The tickets i bought was a return tickets, hope it doesn't make things complicated?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Was that without a ticket? As starting at London Bridge without a scanned ticket is difficult to believe I tend to think you should state where you started.
Yes, but the mottigham train to London Bridge is a southerneastern, Is SE under GTR as well?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,797
Yes, but the mottigham train to London Bridge is a southerneastern, Is SE under GTR as well?
Train companies who catch fare dodgers will seek to recover unpaid fares for all train journeys regardless of who operates the trains.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I bought a return Tickets from Stevenage to Cambridge
So nothing from Mottingham? My opinion is that you should state that you started your journey there.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
When i was caught, i was told to not use that ticket to return back, so i bought a tickets from Cambridge to Finsbury park, then i took a Bus to home

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Train companies who catch fare dodgers will seek to recover unpaid fares for all train journeys regardless of who operates the trains.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


So nothing from Mottingham? My opinion is that you should state that you started your journey there.
How should I draft my response? Should I explain that I took a train from Mottingham to London Bridge, then traveled from London Bridge to Cambridge while holding a Stevenage to Cambridge ticket?
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
On reflection, and having considered the views of other forum members, I think you should declare that you travelled from Mottingham. I presume that Mottingham is unbarriered hence you travelled without a ticket. (Otherwise how did you access the platform).

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having travelled from Mottingham to London Bridge without a ticket and then boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.
Please see additional wording in bold.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
On reflection, and having considered the views of other forum members, I think you should declare that you travelled from Mottingham. I presume that Mottingham is unbarriered hence you travelled without a ticket. (Otherwise how did you access the platform).


Please see additional wording in bold.
Thanks for your support
This is the refined version below

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I regretfully admit to short-ticketing, having traveled from Mottingham to London Bridge without a ticket. From London Bridge, I then boarded a Thameslink service to Cambridge and, while already on the train, purchased a ticket from Stevenage to Cambridge.

I take full responsibility for this error of judgement and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I assure you that I will never repeat this behaviour and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare together with any administrative costs incurred during this investigation.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my wrongdoing. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in allowing me to resolve this matter out of court.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXX

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for your support
This is the refined version below

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I regretfully admit to short-ticketing, having traveled from Mottingham to London Bridge without a ticket. From London Bridge, I then boarded a Thameslink service to Cambridge and, while already on the train, purchased a ticket from Stevenage to Cambridge.

I take full responsibility for this error of judgement and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I assure you that I will never repeat this behaviour and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare together with any administrative costs incurred during this investigation.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my wrongdoing. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in allowing me to resolve this matter out of court.

Yours faithfully,
XXXX
Here's the letter sent to me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've looked through the forum on how to make an appeal, i'd be happy if you could look through this

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.

I take full responsibility for this mistake and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I am truly sorry for the negative effect this has had on the rail network, its hardworking staff, and the honest passengers who adhere to ticketing rules. I sincerely assure you that I will never repeat this offense and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to cover any administrative costs incurred during this investigation, as well as any fines or outstanding fares you deem appropriate.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for my wrongdoing and for any inconvenience this has caused. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in resolving this matter fairly.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXXX

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I need help please ASAP
@Titfield Could you look through this pls, I"ll be sending my letter tomorrow
 
Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
Yes I think this is good to go as it deals with all the issues as well as being suitably apologetic and demonstrating your intent to comply going forward.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,317
Location
Reading
And will they believe Mottingham? Is it near the address they are using to write to you? If not, is that address anywhere else on the route, or further away, or somewhere else entirely etc? Or does your record of taps show Mottingham a lot if they were to challenge you?

(And assuming you did not have a valid zones 1-4 travelcard which I thought I saw mentioned at one point. If you did, the letter is wrong even if you didn't tap in.)
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
Thank you for your response @Titfield, I really appreciate
This is the updated version below

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number: XXXXXX

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 29th January 2025. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide a response.

On Thursday, 7th November 2024, at 10:34, my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector at Letchworth Garden City Station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-ticketing at Letchworth Garden City, having boarded at London Bridge and purchasing a ticket for Stevenage to Cambridge while already on the train.

I take full responsibility for this error of judgement and acknowledge that there is no excuse for my actions. I now fully understand the significant financial impact that fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret my actions. I assure you that I will never repeat this behaviour and will always ensure that I pay the correct fare going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without court proceedings. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare together with any administrative costs incurred during this investigation.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my wrongdoing. I deeply regret my actions and appreciate your consideration in allowing me to resolve this matter out of court.

Yours faithfully,
XXXXX

Could you help me look through the highlighted paragraph?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thanks for the response
So you ask earlier if you should confess to previous misdemenours and then provide enough information ref the actual stop for Govia to probably easily identify you?
This will probably makes no difference here but might prompt one to consider being more careful in future
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
And will they believe Mottingham? Is it near the address they are using to write to you? If not, is that address anywhere else on the route, or further away, or somewhere else entirely etc? Or does your record of taps show Mottingham a lot if they were to challenge you?

(And assuming you did not have a valid zones 1-4 travelcard which I thought I saw mentioned at one point. If you did, the letter is wrong even if you didn't tap in.
Mottingham is close to my address, as is the other nearby station. Both stations are about 10–15 minutes away. My records will likely show more activity at the other station, but I do tap in at Mottingham as well.

I don’t have a Zones 1–4 travelcard. I use my credit card and sometimes my Oyster card for travel.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone, I sent my letter to GTR and tracked it, and i confirmed that it was delivered. However, the issue is that it was delivered along with other items. How can I be sure that the prosecution department received my letter, given that I only had their address on it? Also, how long does it usually take to receive a response from them?
 
Last edited:

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
Hi everyone, I received an out-of-court settlement yesterday! Thank you all so much for your guidance. @Titfield, I really appreciate your help!
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,236
Hi everyone, I received an out-of-court settlement yesterday! Thank you all so much for your guidance. @Titfield, I really appreciate your help!

Thats good news. Are you willing to advise what the settlement was? It helps the forum members to give up to date guidance?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Thanks for letting us know. I'm pleased you managed to obtain a satisfactory outcome.
 

AJ11

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2025
Messages
12
Location
9999
Thats good news. Are you willing to advise what the settlement was? It helps the forum members to give up to date guidance?
An out of court settlement 0f £90.90

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for letting us know. I'm pleased you managed to obtain a satisfactory outcome.
All thanks to y'all help, I appreciate
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-22 at 08.45.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-22 at 08.45.28.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top