Hi everyone,
I received the intention to prosecute letter last week for an incident that occurred in September 2025.
I am a university student and have travelled home regularly which is so expensive. I usually always pay the full fare but when times have been especially tough, I am ashamed to admit that I have sandwiched fares a few times.
On this occasion, I had a ticket from east Croydon and was stopped by the ticket inspector as I did not have the full fare to my destination.
I did say that I could call my dad and ask him to transfer me some money so I could pay the rest, however the inspector did not want to go ahead with that.
I was given a witness statement ticket and the letter has now arrived.
I would really be grateful to settle this out of court, and I have seen some good advice on these threads.
I have attached below a draft of my response, any advice would be appreciated.
Dear Prosecutions Team,
I am writing in response to the letter I received after I was stopped by revenue inspection on X DATE.
I would like to sincerely apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I completely accept that this was wrong and take responsibility for my actions. For my actions I provide no excuse, as I now understand how unfair this is to others who have a valid ticket.
On this occasion I had boarded the train at East Croydon, I did not purchase the full ticket. My intention was never to avoid the fare, but rather to ask a family member to transfer some money so I can buy the rest of the ticket for my journey. I now know that the full ticket needs to be held before boarding the train. I have done some reflection and understand the impact that cost loss has on the train service and this is not something I want to be a part of. I am grateful for the train service as it allows me to get to university and connects me to my family at home and I am appalled by my actions.
This incident has been a significant lesson for me and I can assure you that this will not happen again. In order to ensure this I have requested additional student finance loans to cover my travel and will ensure I always buy the full ticket to cover my journey in advance of boarding the train.
I would be grateful if you would be willing to consider resolving this matter without court proceedings. I am more than willing to promptly pay the outstanding fare and administrative costs incurred if given the opportunity to do so.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response. I appreciate your discretion and understanding.
Any help would be appreciated thank you!
I received the intention to prosecute letter last week for an incident that occurred in September 2025.
I am a university student and have travelled home regularly which is so expensive. I usually always pay the full fare but when times have been especially tough, I am ashamed to admit that I have sandwiched fares a few times.
On this occasion, I had a ticket from east Croydon and was stopped by the ticket inspector as I did not have the full fare to my destination.
I did say that I could call my dad and ask him to transfer me some money so I could pay the rest, however the inspector did not want to go ahead with that.
I was given a witness statement ticket and the letter has now arrived.
I would really be grateful to settle this out of court, and I have seen some good advice on these threads.
I have attached below a draft of my response, any advice would be appreciated.
Dear Prosecutions Team,
I am writing in response to the letter I received after I was stopped by revenue inspection on X DATE.
I would like to sincerely apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I completely accept that this was wrong and take responsibility for my actions. For my actions I provide no excuse, as I now understand how unfair this is to others who have a valid ticket.
On this occasion I had boarded the train at East Croydon, I did not purchase the full ticket. My intention was never to avoid the fare, but rather to ask a family member to transfer some money so I can buy the rest of the ticket for my journey. I now know that the full ticket needs to be held before boarding the train. I have done some reflection and understand the impact that cost loss has on the train service and this is not something I want to be a part of. I am grateful for the train service as it allows me to get to university and connects me to my family at home and I am appalled by my actions.
This incident has been a significant lesson for me and I can assure you that this will not happen again. In order to ensure this I have requested additional student finance loans to cover my travel and will ensure I always buy the full ticket to cover my journey in advance of boarding the train.
I would be grateful if you would be willing to consider resolving this matter without court proceedings. I am more than willing to promptly pay the outstanding fare and administrative costs incurred if given the opportunity to do so.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response. I appreciate your discretion and understanding.
Any help would be appreciated thank you!
