• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information for GTR Southern passengers during strike (no DOO discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
The govt for all it's incompetence and uselessness wasn't seeking this fight, the original plan to begin with was to try and do a quiet deal on FGWs IEPs which fell apart when it became clear neither union was prepared to budge, (they both just hardened their positions still further) , so the attention then turned to Southern using a different strategy altogether

Well, like it or not, that tool Wilkinson did all the "starting a war" stuff for the government. It put the unions in a pretty awkward position, not that they played it well either.

Had he kept his gob shut, some deal probably would have been reached (AIUI), as neither side really wanted a public fight I suspect.

I wonder how much he cared, with his fat pay cheque and commuting in from Switzerland. Not like the poor commuters are on his mind by his actions, or if he actually had the intelligence to look that deep into the issue.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
You are right.

I don't really have time to move posts atm due to the dodgy connection I have at the moment. Let's not stray away from the core topic of this thread.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Back on topic, I see all east and west coast to London via Haywards Heath were cancelled yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

Sunset route

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
1,224
Back on topic, I see all east and west coast to London via Haywards Heath were cancelled yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Was told until further notice apart from first and last services there would be no coastway east or west services to or from London on Saturdays nor will there be any splitting or attaching at Haywards Heath, Horsham, Redhill or Purley UFN as well.
 
Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
Thanks to a combination of engineering works and the overtime ban, stations between South Bermondsey and Tulse Hill had more tph on Sunday than the rest of the week.

2tph to Crystal Palace
2tph to Tattenham Corner (usually via Forest Hill)
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
Even making allowances for pre-Christmas week, it seemed quiet today. The 08.15 Brighton-Victoria GatEx had plenty of spare seats for those boarding at the airport, whilst I got a seat in the rear first class section of a 700 immediately upon joining at Gatwick this evening.

The next real crunch will be the week-long ASLEF strike in January, just as everyone is back from seasonal breaks. I can manage a few days working from home, but five in a row would totally strip my cupboards of junk food.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Even making allowances for pre-Christmas week, it seemed quiet today. The 08.15 Brighton-Victoria GatEx had plenty of spare seats for those boarding at the airport, whilst I got a seat in the rear first class section of a 700 immediately upon joining at Gatwick this evening.

The next real crunch will be the week-long ASLEF strike in January, just as everyone is back from seasonal breaks. I can manage a few days working from home, but five in a row would totally strip my cupboards of junk food.

So, no dis-benefits then?!
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,601
Even making allowances for pre-Christmas week, it seemed quiet today. The 08.15 Brighton-Victoria GatEx had plenty of spare seats for those boarding at the airport, whilst I got a seat in the rear first class section of a 700 immediately upon joining at Gatwick this evening.

The next real crunch will be the week-long ASLEF strike in January, just as everyone is back from seasonal breaks. I can manage a few days working from home, but five in a row would totally strip my cupboards of junk food.

What, you mean you might have to leave the house and buy some more food. Scary! :lol:
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
Final insult on the 19.15 rail replacement bus from Lewes to Seaford tonight.

Got caught at the level crossing at Newhaven Town, for all of five minutes, then watched the Network Rail adhesion train trundle through. There won't be any passenger trains requiring adhesion until Saturday, at least, or quite possibly for the rest of this year.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How much money have people lost during the strikes?

I'm better off financially, due to buying Standard rather than First class tickets, then claiming a chunk of the Standard fare back in Delay Repay.

But I'd rather have the hundreds of wasted hours back.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,361
Location
Bolton
This thread has been remarkably quiet on the subject of RMT strike today and yesterday. I guess that's just 'small beer' now then?
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
This thread has been remarkably quiet on the subject of RMT strike today and yesterday. I guess that's just 'small beer' now then?

I'd forgotten all about it - as you say, small beer now (also becoming a bit boring).
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
This thread has been remarkably quiet on the subject of RMT strike today and yesterday. I guess that's just 'small beer' now then?

I don't think there's much to say that hasn't already been said during the numerous previous recent RMT strikes
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
I imagine that fewer services were disrupted this time round now that some more routes have gone over to DOO?
 

Wookiee

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
221
The timetable that's been loaded into RTT for tomorrow seems to suggest that splitting and joining at Horsham is back on, with Victoria services running through to Portsmouth and Southampton. Anyone know if this is correct? I thought splitting was off the table until further notice.
 

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
The timetable that's been loaded into RTT for tomorrow seems to suggest that splitting and joining at Horsham is back on, with Victoria services running through to Portsmouth and Southampton. Anyone know if this is correct? I thought splitting was off the table until further notice.

I've noticed the same (but, in my case, with splitting and joining services at Haywards Heath). I'm guessing the overtime ban timetable hasn't been loaded into the system as of yet...they are leaving it rather late if that is the case!
 

Wookiee

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
221
I've noticed the same (but, in my case, with splitting and joining services at Haywards Heath). I'm guessing the overtime ban timetable hasn't been loaded into the system as of yet...they are leaving it rather late if that is the case!

RTT suggests that Southern are stabling a train in Platform 2 at Fareham overnight tonight, instead of running the early morning ECS from Littlehampton to Southampton to form the early London Bridge service. Odd.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,361
Location
Bolton
The full timetable appears to have been loaded into journey planners for tomorrow. I can only assume this is not correct.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Was told until further notice apart from first and last services there would be no coastway east or west services to or from London on Saturdays nor will there be any splitting or attaching at Haywards Heath, Horsham, Redhill or Purley UFN as well.

That is worse than not running any trains at all, and simply laying on buses all day.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Final insult on the 19.15 rail replacement bus from Lewes to Seaford tonight.

Got caught at the level crossing at Newhaven Town, for all of five minutes, then watched the Network Rail adhesion train trundle through. There won't be any passenger trains requiring adhesion until Saturday, at least, or quite possibly for the rest of this year.

I know this is meant as a bit of a rant and can understand your feelings, but railheads still need treating regularly, albeit less frequently, so that you do not run the risk of big problems developing when regular services start running again.
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
Help is on the way..........

There's something in today's 'Telegraph' about 'Army buses poised to beat train strike'.........

:roll:
 

nickswift99

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2013
Messages
283
Well the Army used to have a railway capability - 79 Railway Squadron, RLC. But that got disbanded in 2012 and the last reserve unit in 2014. So now the only option would be to drive lots of buses/coaches.

Anyone know where there's a spare few thousand coaches/buses sitting doing nothing? Which is what they'll be doing on the road, as congestion would be terrible...
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Help is on the way..........

There's something in today's 'Telegraph' about 'Army buses poised to beat train strike'.........

:roll:

Cue bus drivers strikes over demarcation issues.

Last night at Redhill was 'interesting' - the information system there still believes that three trains can fit in one platform at the same time - the 1741 Gatwick, the 1743 Reading and the 1747 Tonbridge are all shown every day as occupying platform 1 together until the daily (again) last-minute correction!! It beats me how a known, daily-repeating error like this is allowed to persist, adding confusion for passengers who will be confused enough already by the workings at Redhill. Last night was made even worse than all the other days when the same thing happens by the fact that the previous GWR train had failed, and was formed into a six car train to Reading. As an aside, when this got to Betchworth, it stopped across the level crossing, despite the platform there being six cars long, and the rear three (out of use) cars' door lights all came on, suggesting that they weren't actually disabled!

This morning's Redhill saga was appalling yet again. Missed the 0831 departure to Victoria by a few minutes as the GWR train was late. The 0840 to London Bridge wasn't running and the next London train was shown as being the 0915 to Victoria!

Checked RTT to find that the 0853 departure to Victoria was running and was about 12 late en route. The indicators at Redhill did not show this train at any time and there were no announcements about its status at all. It arrived at about 0900 and the indicators still referred to it as the 0904 to Bognor!

I went to the front of the 12 car train and heard the platform staff tell the driver that "we don't know who you are"!!! With as much restraint as I could muster I shouted to him that it was the 0853 and that we, the passengers, know far more about the service than you do!! What an utter disgrace the situation at Redhill is.

This was followed by the platform indicator at Merstham saying the train would not stop (it was scheduled to and did) and then at Purley the platform staff ambled slowly to the front of the train to despatch it, adding another minute or so to the delay by his nonchalant attitude.

He also failed to spot the FLU sign immediately next to him was working loose in the wind and looked about to collapse, along with its eight foot post, with two of the four bolts into the platform having come completely loose allowing it to rock back and forth alarmingly. So, a very unobservant platform staff member and what of the regular 'safety' checks that are supposed to spot these things? From what I have seen, they simply walk up and down to key in at the various tags around stations, and don't actually check anything while doing so - brilliant!

Oh, and the overnight 455 was stabled in 'platform 4' at Redhill again - with the lights on, presumably for the entire day again - 'green' credentials indeed!
 
Last edited:

RichardKing

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2015
Messages
565
For anyone who travelled out of Littlehampton towards London earlier on this morning, this is was caused the delays:

New incidents affecting AM performance:
Delays to services from Littlehampton, insufficient staff for DOO.
 

Attachments

  • Oh....jpg
    Oh....jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

74A

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2015
Messages
775
For anyone who travelled out of Littlehampton towards London earlier on this morning, this is was caused the delays:

Interesting. I thought all new DOO was by train cameras. I guess Littlehampton will be CD/RA with platform staff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top