• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info sought on Southern Railway man

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralstona

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2016
Messages
2
Location
New Jersey, USA
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I am looking for information on a employee of the Southern Railways. His name was Arthur Frederick Anderson. He started in 1914 with the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. From 1920-1938 he worked for the Iraqi State Railway becoming supervisor of the Shalchiya Workshop in Baghdad. He returned to the UK in 1939 and joined the Southern Railway. He earned a Southern Railway Centre St. Johns long service medal for seven years service in 1946. I believe he became a driver in 1942.

I am hoping someone might have copies of the Southern Railway Magazine from the 1940s and be able to see if he is in it. I think his service in Iraq may have led to an article.

Even if you don't have access to the magazines but have any other information or leads I would be grateful.

Art
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
Have you tried contacting the National Railway Museum? They have a vast collection of railway literature, which may include the Southern Railway's in-house magazine. If so, narrowing down the date in which the article may have been published would be of great help to the volunteers.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchive/researchhelp/FamilyHistory.aspx

We have:

Staff magazines for those companies that produced them of the major railway companies of the 20th century. These magazines feature staff promotions, retirements, awards and often have employee photos. They also provide an insight into what life was like working on the railways.
 

slilley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2012
Messages
27
Hi there

If it is any help, the National Archives at Kew has a complete set of the Southern Railway Magazine for the life of the company

Simon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top