• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info needed about 17.16 CDF - HHD using a 1st Class ALR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
863
Location
G E M L
Evening all, Hope this is the correct place for this.
Advice needed for the above, I'm starting a 1st class, 14 day ALR next week and wondered if anyone knows if its valid on the 17.16 ex CDF and what are the arrangements regarding the evening meal and cost.
Thanks in Advance.
Reagrds
Mike
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Yes, it is valid and food included.

Enjoy your journey.
 

NottsPhil

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
43
Location
Nottingham
Yes, food and soft drinks are included, alcohol is chargeable but not expensive.

I have never had a problem turning up on spec but have occasionally reserved a seat just to be sure, especially if doing the whole journey. Also worth watching ATW Journey Check in case there is a set fault and it gets subbed with a 175! They are usually very good at updating it if so.

Enjoy, one of the best journeys in the UK!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I did it recently and I must say that it's been a while since I felt my heart drop quite like it did when I saw the platform indicators tick over and say 'formed of three coaches'. Visions of a 175 all the way to Holyhead came straight to mind! Thankfully, for me anyway, it was the proper stock just short a TSO.

Make sure you visit the first class lounge on platform one. Very small but it's nice and the staff are wonderful.
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
First Class usually at the rear, on the Swansea end when you depart Cardiff.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
First Class usually at the rear, on the Swansea end when you depart Cardiff.

Is that a recent change? It was when I did it a few weeks ago but on every occasion before then (admittedly only three times!) it had been on the front.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Evening all, Hope this is the correct place for this.
Advice needed for the above, I'm starting a 1st class, 14 day ALR next week and wondered if anyone knows if its valid on the 17.16 ex CDF and what are the arrangements regarding the evening meal and cost.
Thanks in Advance.
Reagrds
Mike

no worries at all. I have done it twice. Each time it was good quality and all washed down with a couple of bottles of ale.
 

Dumpton Park

Member
Joined
31 May 2012
Messages
70
There's a report on CHarlie Hulme's North Wales Coast Railway website from a week or so back on the food. It's pretty good, all in all.

DP
 

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
863
Location
G E M L
Thanks for all the replies, just wanted to include it in my ALR, when I finish the 14 days, should only have about 60 miles to do in England & Wales and Fort William to Mallaig left to have covered all the recognised passenger routes in England, Wales and Scotland.
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Is that a recent change? It was when I did it a few weeks ago but on every occasion before then (admittedly only three times!) it had been on the front.

I did it weekly for 3 weeks, and all 3 times it was at the rear weirdly enough.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
I have only ever done it once, that was last November on an ALR (there's a trip report somewhere). I did book a seat on it, and whilst there were a couple of free seats, it was pretty busy so i am glad i did. First class was at the rear but i didn't know this until it arrived so asked platform staff and they advised me it was usually at the rear but it's no unknown for it to "come in backwards".
I'd advise having a bit of cash on you for alcoholic beverages as their card machine is usually a bit hit and miss, and whilst it's not your problem it is a simple solution, last time another passenger had to wait for the guard to pass through and sell him some voucher thing that they exchanged for his drinks which was a faff for everyone involved.
 

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
863
Location
G E M L
Thanks again for the advice, normally got cash on me, I'll be en-route, from Fareham-Barnstable-Cardiff-Chester-Manchester-Shipley. I've stayed at Ibis Hotel Shipley quite a few times on ALR's, its cheaper than Leeds or Manchester does a good buffet breakfast and it's pretty much opposite the station and has a frequent service in and out of Leeds which gives good access to a huge area.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
Maybe copy that post to the accommodation reviews and suggestions thread at the top of this forum if you haven't already.
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
Thanks again for the advice, normally got cash on me, I'll be en-route, from Fareham-Barnstable-Cardiff-Chester-Manchester-Shipley. I've stayed at Ibis Hotel Shipley quite a few times on ALR's, its cheaper than Leeds or Manchester does a good buffet breakfast and it's pretty much opposite the station and has a frequent service in and out of Leeds which gives good access to a huge area.

Thank you for the hotel suggestion, as I also do ALRs, I'm on one now.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
I'm on one from 2nd October enjoy yourselves gents I shall be spending 3 nights at home and 3 nights in bed and breakfast and one night on sleeper
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top