• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incorrect details on UFN

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise on a situation that occurred on an LNER train.

I was advised by an LNER member of staff to take a train from as she had been unable to open the gate for me to pass and I think she assumed I had a LNER ticket (I had a Lumo ticket). I didn't think too hard about it (which was very stupid) and went straight onto the train.

I was issued a UFN which I paid soon after issue. I then sent an email appeal. However, when I looked at the UFN I noticed a number of details were incorrect and either I had misspoken or the ticket inspector had misheard. I have withdrawn my appeal, and wanted to check whether it is likely that the discrepancy in information would be followed up on?

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,242
How or Why would they follow up on "discrepancy in information" if (a) they do not know there is a discrepancy b) you have paid the UFN ?
 

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
They will be able to tell from my email address and sign off in the appeals emails that my name is different to the UFN. I suppose my question is whether they would have anything to gain by following up on it once they realise? Or even whether they would be able to follow up on it given that the UFN is paid?
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,242
Once an Unpaid Fares Notice is settled (ie paid) then that is the end of the matter.

Frequently the person settling the UFN is not the person it was issued to as for example it could be a relative or family friend.

Whilst it may raise a few eyebrows as to how a ticket inspector can hear and write down for example Smith when the appeal email comes from Brown, it would not result in any action being initiated.
 

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
Thank you for the advice. That's really reassuring and a number of lessons very thoroughly learned for me.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Sorry to follow up so soon with a final question that occurred to me - the ticket guard scanned my Lumo ticket as evidence of that journey not being taken. Presumably that will be linked to my correct name. Will that flag anything up? Obviously I have not tired to evade the UFN (I paid up immediately), but is there a chance that the slight discrepancy in names would lead to a further search and a potential prosection?

The address is also incorrect and I don't know whether that would be flagged in their systems?

Is this something I should try to get in front of or leave well alone?
 
Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
Leave well alone!

You gave false details deliberately? As that could basically amount to a criminal offence it makes it unwise to follow any of this up. Even seeking a refund on the Lumo ticket if it was refundable and unused (i.e. if you were charged for a completely new ticket) might draw attention to something best forgotten.
 

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
Not deliberate! However, they are sufficiently different that somebody might believe it was deliberate. I'm not sure whether it was mistyped or a miscommunication.

My fear is that the incorrect information is flagged through another route (withdrawn appeal, scanned Lumo ticket or address details that don't match) and then appears deliberate as I haven't raised it. This could of course be made worse by any post not reaching me.

In any case, thank you for the advice. I will leave it alone as that seems to be the consensus for the best course of action.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
I’m confused as to why an UPFN was issued if you were prepared to pay straight away? Did you refuse to pay on train/in person?
 

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
I didn't have the money in my current account to pay upfront, and had to move money from savings accounts and to ask my family for some of it. In hindsight I should have asked for a bit of time to get the money to pay upfront.

Do you agree that the best course of action is to leave the UFN now that it's settled or would you suggest contacting the TOC?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,817
Do you agree that the best course of action is to leave the UFN now that it's settled or would you suggest contacting the TOC?
Based on the information you've provided, I doubt you would have much luck with an appeal as you'll struggle to identify anyone as giving you valid authority to travel on the LNER service. Therefore, given all the circumstances I would be inclined to advise against stirring this particular pot. You will, however, have to regard it as a slightly expensive lesson learned.
 

trainuser2000

On Moderation
Joined
31 Dec 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
Thank you. I agree on not trying to appeal.

My concern is whether I should get ahead of the incorrect details on the UFN and alert the TOC.

The consensus seems to be that LNER are very unlikely to follow up on incorrect personal details on a UFN where it has been paid promptly and in full, so I should leave it alone. Do you agree with that as a course of action?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top