• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incorrect details given at time of fine writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

theplutonian

New Member
Joined
6 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
Brighton
I will start admitting that I didn’t make a smart decision by not providing my correct details. There’s no personal justification that supersedes the rules.

This morning, I was traveling from Preston Park to Hove; this commute includes a change of train in Brighton. So in total I would normally take 2 trains; Preston Park - Brighton and Brighton - Hove.
I wasn’t able to buy the respective ticket due to the train being delayed and the purchasing window expired. I arrived at the Preston Park station at 7:10 and at that time the ticket couldn’t be purchased. The train arrived at 7:13 in Preston Park while the train ticket was for 7:08. There’s no barriers in this station so I was able to get on the train to Brighton with no issue.

Once in Brighton, I had to take the train to Hove, as that was my destination. I arrived in Brighton and I only had a couple of minutes to exit my train and board the next one which meant I had to buy the ticket for that trip while being inside the train. When I got to Hove, the guards there scanned my ticket and they saw that I just had bought this a 1-2 min ago (Brighton - Hove route takes around 3-4 min). They asked me where was I traveling from and I told them that I came from Brighton, but I started my trip from Preston Park. I admitted I wasn’t able to buy a ticket for the respective train at Preston Park and offered to pay it then and there. They dismissed this offer and took my details in order to proceed with a fine. I didn’t argue or tried to be combative or justify my actions. I even apologise for the hassle while being let out, mainly out of embarrassment.

I honestly believed that they would allow me to buy the ticket at the barriers in view of me being open to pay for it and the fact that I already purchased one. But what I believed doesn’t matter, rules are rules.

In the moment, out of shame I gave them the incorrect details. I know I can’t outsmart the system, specially when they are after the money, so it was done mainly as a way to not give my government name during rush hour surrounded by four guards and members of the public. I was on my way to work and I felt like a bum. It felt really embarrassing, specially because I had purchase a ticket and I was happy to pay for the missing one. I was complaint and did not make any snarky comments or said anything that would motivate them to be overly zealous towards my case.

I bought my ticket through Trainline but this is not linked to my personal email or phone number, and all the payments are done through Apple Pay. I can see my purchase history but this does not reveal any information that could be linked to me.

Im totally open to pay, the problem is that I intentionally gave incorrect details and I’m afraid this class as fraud now. Which makes me think that if I own up to it I may be hit with an extra fraud/impersonation charge.

I have no criminal record or even minor offences from a legal standpoint. I don’t use the train regularly, maybe twice or three times a month. I don’t have any history of offences with railway system either.

What would be the best course of action in this case?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

srg

Member
Joined
6 May 2025
Messages
27
Location
UK
I am unclear what you have been given - is it a Penalty Fare or a Report for Prosecution?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
If you have been given a penalty fare, you can either appeal on the grounds that it was incorrectly issued according to the regulations. To do that, upload the PF notice in full and experts on here will spot any error.

Alternatively, pay the £50-and-some and the matter is settled.

It is vanishingly unlikely that any train company would pursue you for fraud or similar.

PS I hope you only bought one ticket for this journey, from Preston Park to Hove?
 

srg

Member
Joined
6 May 2025
Messages
27
Location
UK
The law in England about names is very flexible I think - your name is what you say it is. Providing you don't try and claim it wasn't you who was given the penalty fare it shouldn't really matter what name you gave. Especially if you just pay it.
 

theplutonian

New Member
Joined
6 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
Brighton
If you have been given a penalty fare, you can either appeal on the grounds that it was incorrectly issued according to the regulations. To do that, upload the PF notice in full and experts on here will spot any error.

Alternatively, pay the £50-and-some and the matter is settled.

It is vanishingly unlikely that any train company would pursue you for fraud or similar.

PS I hope you only bought one ticket for this journey, from Preston Park to Hove?
I’m convinced I don’t have any grounds to appeal, as going by the book it was a correct fine, even though I could argue that the discrepancy between the arrival time and the purchase window played a part in me not getting the first ticket. And honestly I prefer paying that 50£ something pounds than going through such ordeal.

And I did buy a full priced ticket; Brighton to Hove. But not the one from Preston Park - Brighton as the purchasing window expired by the time I got to the station, however the respective train got there at 07:13. I probably should have bought the next train’s ticket.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The law in England about names is very flexible I think - your name is what you say it is. Providing you don't try and claim it wasn't you who was given the penalty fare it shouldn't really matter what name you gave. Especially if you just pay it.
Paying the initial 50£ something pounds is most likely my only real option. I just was embarrassed to give my proper details in front of everybody else. I felt so ashamed, they didn’t even take me to the side. It was in front of of the barriers. This is a lesson; NEVER AGAIN.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,884
And I did buy a full priced ticket; Brighton to Hove. But not the one from Preston Park - Brighton as the purchasing window expired by the time I got to the station, however the respective train got there at 07:13. I probably should have bought the next train’s ticket.
I think you are being mislead by the way that ticketing options are presented.

Provided the ticket you are buying is not described as "Advance", tickets are only limited to particular trains by broad time restrictions. If buying an "Any Permitted" ticket from Preston Park to Hove, the time you buy the ticket and the time the train departs are not connected provided you have bought the ticket before getting on the first train. So there's nothing to stop you buying a ticket the night before and making a later decision which train to catch.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
The law in England about names is very flexible I think - your name is what you say it is. Providing you don't try and claim it wasn't you who was given the penalty fare it shouldn't really matter what name you gave. Especially if you just pay it.

No, people can clearly give false names and that is an offence. I can't claim to be Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and then expect a court to believe I was called that for just the moment I was getting written up for some misdeed or lawbreaking. To change one's name one has to assume and come to be known by that surname.

Try it with a copper if you get arrested and see how you get on.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Apart from anything else, why on earth are you buying two tickets? That means you're paying twice as much as you need to.
 

theplutonian

New Member
Joined
6 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
Brighton
Apart from anything else, why on earth are you buying two tickets? That means you're paying twice as much as you need to.
Basically, I could have bought a single ticket that would include both trips. I assume that best option for trips that requiere a change. It would only be one ticket that includes two passes.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Basically, I could have bought a single ticket that would include both trips. I assume that best option for trips that requiere a change.
A ticket from Preston Park to Hove costs £3.70 and applies whether you are on a direct train or changing at Brighton.
It would only be one ticket that includes two passes.
I'm not sure what you mean by this - it would be one ticket regardless.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I’m convinced I don’t have any grounds to appeal, as going by the book it was a correct fine, even though I could argue that the discrepancy between the arrival time and the purchase window played a part in me not getting the first ticket. And honestly I prefer paying that 50£ something pounds than going through such ordeal.
Penalty fare regulations are complex and, with respect, unless you have a good understanding of them you are unlikely to know whether you have grounds to appeal or not.

You could upload an image of the penalty fare notice for us to check, but because you gave false details it may be best to pay this to avoid further attention being drawn to the matter. Depends on your appetite for risk and how big a deal £50 is to you in your circumstances.
 

davp

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2015
Messages
181
The law in England about names is very flexible I think - your name is what you say it is. Providing you don't try and claim it wasn't you who was given the penalty fare it shouldn't really matter what name you gave. Especially if you just pay it.
This is closer to being true in Scotland but I don't believe it is right in England. I'd be interested to see a source for asserting your name is what you say it is in England. As a minimum I think a deed poll would be required for a change of name.

In this situation if the penalty fare notice is incorrect, which we can't consider without seeing it, then the OP needs to address providing the wrong name as well as an appeal. They could try and simply say the wrong name has been applied to the notice which wouldn't be untrue. None of this matters if the PF has been issued correctly. It's up to the OP, but sharing the PF with any details and reference redacted would let others advise whether an appeal might be worth considering.

The £3.70 fare is anytime, so they could have selected the next available departure and purchased their ticket, which would have been valid provided they purchased it before boarding at Preston Park. It wouldn't matter that they had taken an earlier train.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I'd be interested to see a source for asserting your name is what you say it is in England. As a minimum I think a deed poll would be required for a change of name.
No deed poll is required. Your name is simply what you assume and become known by. But it is not "whatever name comes into my head when I get caught doing something wrong".


It's up to the OP, but sharing the PF with any details and reference redacted would let others advise whether an appeal might be worth considering.
Agreed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top