• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inconsistency in GWR off-peak day return prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHicjs

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2018
Messages
9
Hello,

I occasionally travel from Newbury to London at off-peak times. I get the 0950 direct service and return on the 1907 direct. I use a Network Railcard.
When I bought this ticket a few months ago, the price was roughly £18. However, if I search for the same fare on any day this week, the off-peak day return fare is £28.80, so it seems like the Railcard discount isn't applied. But if I book for a few weeks' time, the fare is as it should be at £19.
According to the Network Railcard website, there should be a before-1000 easement for this service.
Does anyone please know why there is such inconsistency with this fare and is it worth raising with GWR? (please see some attached screenshots for examples; Note that there is a slight difference of 3 minutes in the departing times from Newbury between these two examples).
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 06.08.17.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 06.08.17.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 06.01.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 06.01.49.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 22
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
Hello,

I occasionally travel from Newbury to London at off-peak times. I get the 0950 direct service and return on the 1907 direct. I use a Network Railcard.
When I bought this ticket a few months ago, the price was roughly £18. However, if I search for the same fare on any day this week, the off-peak day return fare is £28.80, so it seems like the Railcard discount isn't applied. But if I book for a few weeks' time, the fare is as it should be at £19.
According to the Network Railcard website, there should be a before-1000 easement for this service.
Does anyone please know why there is such inconsistency with this fare and is it worth raising with GWR? (please see some attached screenshots for examples; Note that there is a slight difference of 3 minutes in the departing times from Newbury between these two examples).
The slight time discrepancy is the tell-tale as to what is going on here.

In short, the 'before 10am easement' is encoded electronically by reference to specific trains. However, currently the industry data used by journey planners only contains the 09:47 service from the May timetable change, not the 09:50 until then.

I suspect this is simply an oversight which has occurred as a result of the numerous timetable changes which have happened since Covid started, and so it's slipped through the net.

Rest assured, the easement is intended to apply to the 09:50 service and you shouldn't have any problems if you simply select a later service and travel on the 09:50.

It might be worthwhile contacting GWR customer services to ask them to fix the issue, but with the May timetable change due so soon, you may not get an answer before the issue becomes moot anyway.

I would certainly hope that they intend to contact people who bought tickets affected by this issue, to offer them a refund of anything they were overcharged. However I wouldn't hold out much hope.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top