• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident near Harling Road 10/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
The ITV video pointedly has a shot of the crossing telephone. I'd imagine that'll be a fairly easy thing to check if it was used?

Quite.
I note the earlier comment about the red/green pedestal being covered over, (post #28) which I suspect might mean it was not yet in action.
From my experience the phone would have taken precedent!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It would be and all phone calls are recorded for investigation purposes.

Phil

Indeed!
The "tapes" would very quickly have been recovered.
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I note the earlier comment about the red/green pedestal being covered over, (post #28) which I suspect might mean it was not yet in action.
A post in the linked thread indicates that it had been taken out of use because of reliability issues.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,931
Location
Birkenhead
Thoughts go to all involved in this incident. I understand from the media reports that the train driver suffered an injured hand. Looking at the state of that can (what's left of it), I thought that he/she has been darn lucky! Could Haagen been a lot worse. Hopefully a swift recovery to the injured.

Been reading through some of the public's comments on this in the media - most are speculating on the cause so I'll not dwell on those as we don't know anything definitive at this stage. Two comments did stand out though.

The first was made by someone on the train who described the rail staff as "heroes". Rail staff doing a difficult job in difficult circumstances! Good to see some appreciation for once.

The other comment, if serious, beggars belief;

"why didn't the driver swerve over to another track or slam it into reverse"

Oh dear....!!
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
The other comment, if serious, beggars belief;


"why didn't the driver swerve over to another track or slam it into reverse"

Oh dear....!!

How did I guess that would be in the Mail? <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think I've seen cab damage quite that bad to a Turbostar for some time. It looks like bits of tractor have been flung up and over the second man's side, doesn't it? Also, is it just me or is the whole cab door on the driver's side missing? :o Thoughts with all injured... impact with farm vehicles and suchlike is something I fairly regularly discuss with drivers of such units on rural routes in other areas of the country, and I think this demonstrates how big a risk it can be.
Wonder if the emergency services took the door off to get to the driver?
 

notlob.divad

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2016
Messages
1,609
The other comment, if serious, beggars belief;

"why didn't the driver swerve over to another track or slam it into reverse"

Oh dear....!!

:roll:

There was also one that was claiming that the poor suffering rail user would now be inconvenienced by the cancelled trains. Like this is more important than the safety of the people in the incident, and the future safety of all rail passengers from the investigation into the cause.
 

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2015
Messages
3,003
What's the story with these push button UWCs too ? I hear they're yet another Bombardier product that doesn't do what it says on the tin.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
...
Been reading through some of the public's comments on this in the media - most are speculating on the cause so I'll not dwell on those as we don't know anything definitive at this stage.
...

The other comment, if serious, beggars belief;

"why didn't the driver swerve over to another track or slam it into reverse"

Have you a link to that? On the face of it, it could refer to the driver of the tractor. (Not that I think he'd have had time to take such action even if it could have been effective).
 
Last edited:

Will Marriot

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2011
Messages
14

I thought it was Drove Road Crossing because the train had come to rest there, but the incident was at Hockham Road Crossing. Drove Road crossing is fenced off and only open to pedestrians, about 300m from Hockham Road. Looks like only the front of the tractor was across the track or its could have been a serious derailment. I hope they all recover.

map2.jpg


Hockham Road Crossing coming uphttps://youtu.be/uWA3OwXzAXQ?t=25m50s

Eastern Daily Presshttps://youtu.be/0S_KVNDAmyg
 

SPADTrap

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2012
Messages
2,355
Driver was in the mess room with his arm in a sling but in otherwise good spirits.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Have you a link to that? On the face of it, it could refer to the driver of the tractor. (Not that I think he'd have had time to take such action even if it could have been effective).

This comment: "Why didn`t the train driver swerve to another track? Or slam it into reverse?"

is not in the main Mail story. It is a reader's comment. It clearly states "train driver".

But to get back to the original implication of the poster - I am not a fan of the Daily Mail, but, if a reporter had heard this said, and put it into a story, I think that would have been good journalism.

The reason being simply that it would show just how ignorant some people are of the simple basics of railway technology/physics.

Anyway, excellent news that the train driver is ok, in spite of failing to swerve to the other track.
<sigh>
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
This comment: "Why didn`t the train driver swerve to another track? Or slam it into reverse?"

is not in the main Mail story. It is a reader's comment. It clearly states "train driver".

But to get back to the original implication of the poster - I am not a fan of the Daily Mail, but, if a reporter had heard this said, and put it into a story, I think that would have been good journalism.

The reason being simply that it would show just how ignorant some people are of the simple basics of railway technology/physics.

Anyway, excellent news that the train driver is ok, in spite of failing to swerve to the other track.
<sigh>

Thanks, the inclusion of the word " train" makes all the difference.
 
Joined
7 Oct 2015
Messages
590
How did I guess that would be in the Mail? <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Wonder if the emergency services took the door off to get to the driver?

Was told by a AGA staff member that the driver saw the obstruction, slammed the brakes on and was able to get out of the cab into the train before impact, could well have saved his/her life.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Thanks, the inclusion of the word " train" makes all the difference.

I have tried to edit my own post - but the system won't allow me to save it. S I'll put it here.

EDIT - apologies, Polarbear, who originally noted the Mail story - does say it is a reader's comment (it is just easy to read it quickly and interpret that it is in the main story) -
 

moggie

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
426
Location
West Midlands
Although it is that Level Crossing, the risk assessment data and description is for the footpath element. There is a separate risk assessment for the vehicular element, and technically that is a separate LC. It has Miniature Stop lights; in the picture you can see the back of the pedestal for vehicles travelling towards the camera.

The pictures on the itv.com report mentioned later appear to show the MSL pedestals are covered with blue bags; i.e. not in commission. Also looks like one of the new pedestals has received a mighty clout from the debris which has knocked it off it's.....

Comment on another site suggests that the MSL kit has previously been in use but has been taken OOU due to unspecified 'issues'. From the limited pictures it look like one of the ABB Ebigate xxx (can't recall the type) bits of kit which have had their Product Cert. suspended by NR which ties in with the comment. Not that any of this should have any bearing on this incident if the instruction on the signage has been followed to the letter.

Thankfully, in time all will have an opportunity to recount their tale.
 

furnessvale

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2015
Messages
4,914
Was told by a AGA staff member that the driver saw the obstruction, slammed the brakes on and was able to get out of the cab into the train before impact, could well have saved his/her life.

That is certainly what I would have done in the circumstances.

I recall a similar incident years ago with a class 40 near Hellifield.

Having made a full application the crew evacuated into the engine compartment. Sadly the loco was facing the wrong way, putting the side corridor against the obstruction, another train IIRC. I think at least one was killed. :cry:
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
From anecdotal evidence regarding other incidents, it seems the time a vehicle is out of traffic can be at least partly down to the time it takes to obtain a replacement 'front end', where the stock involves a large chunk of fibreglass. Thinking particularly of past incidents involving HSTs, allegedly the fabrication of a replacement cab is not as simple as one may casually think. With newer stock, like a 170, can we expect there to be a stock of cab mouldings, or are the same issues likely to apply?

On a purely curiosity point, how many vehicles are currently out of service following heavy crash damage, but expected to return? This one, clearly; is there still a 175 being put back together after the hay bails incident? Any others?
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
From anecdotal evidence regarding other incidents, it seems the time a vehicle is out of traffic can be at least partly down to the time it takes to obtain a replacement 'front end', where the stock involves a large chunk of fibreglass. Thinking particularly of past incidents involving HSTs, allegedly the fabrication of a replacement cab is not as simple as one may casually think. With newer stock, like a 170, can we expect there to be a stock of cab mouldings, or are the same issues likely to apply?

On a purely curiosity point, how many vehicles are currently out of service following heavy crash damage, but expected to return? This one, clearly; is there still a 175 being put back together after the hay bails incident? Any others?

The 168/3 that got damaged by a tree seemed to get a new front quickly enough. As for the damaged trains, there is also that 156 that went for a swim, but that is a bit of an odd one. Last I remember, it had been written off and more or less being rebuilt.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
The 168/3 that got damaged by a tree seemed to get a new front quickly enough. As for the damaged trains, there is also that 156 that went for a swim, but that is a bit of an odd one. Last I remember, it had been written off and more or less being rebuilt.

I was going to mention that but I too thought it had been written off. I wonder whether the confirmed orders for new DMU stock will affect the efforts to rebuild it. Suddenly likely to be not worth the expense, I would think.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,931
Location
Birkenhead
I have tried to edit my own post - but the system won't allow me to save it. S I'll put it here.

EDIT - apologies, Polarbear, who originally noted the Mail story - does say it is a reader's comment (it is just easy to read it quickly and interpret that it is in the main story) -

No worries - I was on a mobile phone at the time so my post may have been a bit short on detail.:D
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
And now we have a fatality between Wymondham and Norwich. Pretty awful few days for the Breckland line.
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
The 168/3 that got damaged by a tree seemed to get a new front quickly enough. As for the damaged trains, there is also that 156 that went for a swim, but that is a bit of an odd one. Last I remember, it had been written off and more or less being rebuilt.

The 156 that went for a swim is due back in service with Scotrail at the end of this month. Insurers wrote it off, First bought it then sold it to Brodies of Kilmarnock who have rebuilt it.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
The 156 that went for a swim is due back in service with Scotrail at the end of this month. Insurers wrote it off, First bought it then sold it to Brodies of Kilmarnock who have rebuilt it.

That is very good news!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top