Nicholas43
Member
Thanks. I had wrongly guessed that the locking would prevent that, and thus (possibly) derail the train.A train doesn't bounce over incorrectly set trailing points, it forces it's way THROUGH them.
Thanks. I had wrongly guessed that the locking would prevent that, and thus (possibly) derail the train.A train doesn't bounce over incorrectly set trailing points, it forces it's way THROUGH them.
Thankfully it had slowed sufficiently to take that last set of points, otherwise we might have had a scenario where the 165 ended up on the platform.To understand what happened you need to understand the difference between trailing and facing points. The first set of points the Chiltern train encountered were trailing and set against the Chiltern train so it ran through them. A train doesn't bounce over incorrectly set trailing points, it forces it's way THROUGH them. The second set were facing to it, which is why it crossed to the opposite line directly facing the underground train that had the road.
I think the s stock is lighter and has crumple zones designed for lower speed collisions that would had the most damage done to itThankfully it had slowed sufficiently to take that last set of points, otherwise we might have had a scenario where the 165 ended up on the platform.
I don't think that's relevant here as it is LU infrastructure and all trains use the mechanical trainstop system. The cl.165s that work the service are specially fitted with trip cocks for this.
This section has 4-aspect signalling, and the additional CBTC aspect will be blue.I thought they covered lines shared with Chiltern with a red , green and white signalling system with white being proceed in ATO mode only
Why wouldn't a tripcock have stopped this? I've never quite understood tripcocks.
I think the s stock is lighter and has crumple zones designed for lower speed collisions that would had the most damage done to it
Based on what's been written already, the tripcock did stop the train, initially. It was the actions following being tripped that led to the incident. It'd be equivalent to being stopped by TPWS/ATP, resetting and then just carrying on - there's no active control of the train by the safety systems after an intervention, on this stock at least apparently.
That's not what RTT says.shave a whole minute off a 3 minute journey!
I had understood that historically when a tripcock was tripped it let all the air out of the system and it took a good few minutes for the train compressors to pump back up
This meant that the driver had to contact control to explain.
Is it really the case that a driver can now reset it and carry on and no one will be aware?
If this is the case of then are we not going backwards in safety ?
I don't believe they completely dump the entirety of the reservoirs - on older stock they'd dump the brake pipe, but with 'newer' stock (since 1973) with electronic brake control, there's no brake pipe from which to dump the air from, whilst dumping air from the reservoirs would reduce braking capability!
With London Underground at least, there's a very specific process to be followed 'post trip' as detailed on this page (with caveat that the info on that page may be outdated) which involves contacting control and an automatic speed limiter. Needless to say that if what's been hinted at upthread is true, expect the RAIB report to focus a lot on procedures and controls around what happens 'post trip'
The train didn’t actually arrive at Chalfont, as shown by the photo above, it stopped before getting to the station; the platform was occupied by a Met train.Having read up on this thread I was compelled to check RTT to see the timings of the incident train. Now I know RTT cannot be relied upon for hard facts, but as a general guide this is quite interesting... the train left Amersham 1 minute late but apparently arrived at Chalfont right time. If the driver had a SPAD, was 'tripped', came up in a heap, reset then carried on he would have had to have been pretty quick about it to shave a whole minute off a 3 minute journey! It's all rumour and speculation that the driver reset and continued, but these timings make me wonder if he was actually stopped at all. Could the tripcock on the Chiltern unit have been defective or isolated? Could it have been a wrong side failure that caused him to have clear aspects and thus not be 'tripped'? Perhaps the arrival time on RTT at chalfont is measured from when the train entered the track circuit, which may well have been right time if he's gone through that signal at full speed? It's all food for thought but maybe, just maybe, this Chiltern driver might not be the villain that the current picture paints.
Realtime Trains - 2C72 2113 Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Chalfont and Latimer
Realtime Trains provides live realtime running information for the Great British railway network using open data.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Does Real Time Trains work on London Underground tracks? There seems to be a bit of a black hole between Harrow and Amersham at times, I had assumed because it was London Underground track. I thought time table times were shown.That's not what RTT says.
Meant to leave Amersham at 2139 and arrive Chalfont at 2142½ (3½ minutes) actually left Amersham at 2140 and arrived at Chalfont at 2143 (3 minutes journey).
Half a minute off a 3½ minute journey is quite a bit different to a minute off a three minute journey! 86% of the time timetabled, rather than 67%.
Realtime information for this section of the railway was added to Realtime Trains a few years ago, initially data was obtained through the Trackernet feeds, however the Realtime Trains blog from January this year states that Chiltern Railways have recently introduced GPS based reporting onto their fleet.Does Real Time Trains work on London Underground tracks? There seems to be a bit of a black hole between Harrow and Amersham at times, I had assumed because it was London Underground track. I thought time table times were shown.
The post I quoted had a link in it to RTT with train times shown.Does Real Time Trains work on London Underground tracks? There seems to be a bit of a black hole between Harrow and Amersham at times, I had assumed because it was London Underground track. I thought time table times were shown.
very true, but if you are going to try, then at least read it properly!I don't think you can read too much into the RTT times here.
You are, of course, correct. I was concentrating on the fact that its very unlikely a train could come to a complete stand from an emergency brake application at line speed, have that reset, and then still make it to the next station without losing any time on its journey (and yes, I know it didnt get into the platform at Chalfont!).That's not what RTT says.
Meant to leave Amersham at 2139 and arrive Chalfont at 2142½ (3½ minutes) actually left Amersham at 2140 and arrived at Chalfont at 2143 (3 minutes journey).
Half a minute off a 3½ minute journey is quite a bit different to a minute off a three minute journey! 86% of the time timetabled, rather than 67%.
I know!The train didn’t actually arrive at Chalfont, as shown by the photo above, it stopped before getting to the station; the platform was occupied by a Met train.
I know you can't read too much into RTT, I said as much in my post! I also covered the scenario that it may have shown as arrived as soon as it entered the next track circuit.I don't think you can read too much into the RTT times here. Presumably as soon as the train passed the signal, it occupied the platform berth and RTT picked up the arrival time. If the train then stops for whatever reason before actually reaching the platform, RTT isn't going to know that.
Fair enough.I was concentrating on the fact that its very unlikely a train could come to a complete stand from an emergency brake application at line speed, have that reset, and then still make it to the next station without losing any time on its journey (and yes, I know it didnt get into the platform at Chalfont!)
That is the Monday to Fridays timetable.To answer my question, the Chesham service is timetabled to depart C&L at 21:36.5, well in front of the Chiltern service which passes 6 minutes later.
Why the Chiltern is being delayed for the last service of the day to a single station is beyond me. Anyway, another matter I suppose.
Something like an S stock I suspect wouldn’t fare too badly against a 165, being of a not dissimilar construction and essentially the same size.
The Bakerloo north of Queen’s Park is perhaps more of an issue. A 378 versus a 72 Tube stock certainly wouldn’t be a fair contest even at comparatively low speed. Indeed a 59 stock car was virtually demolished when it was rear-ended by a 313 near Kensal Green in the 1980s.
165s pre-date the current rules for "crumple zones" and I don't know what is provided on S Stock - possibly not much as LU normally provides full braking distance overlaps so collisions directly following SPADs are theoretically impossible (not counting reset-and-continue, and noting that practice may differ from theory!). A sidelong collision on the branch crossover could have been nasty too, as side protection is less than that at the ends.I think the s stock is lighter and has crumple zones designed for lower speed collisions that would had the most damage done to it
For completeness, some kinds of points do have a risk of derailment if trailed through, though unlikely to be the case with the ones here.To understand what happened you need to understand the difference between trailing and facing points. The first set of points the Chiltern train encountered were trailing and set against the Chiltern train so it ran through them. A train doesn't bounce over incorrectly set trailing points, it forces it's way THROUGH them. The second set were facing to it, which is why it crossed to the opposite line directly facing the underground train that had the road.
Thank you. I missed that it was Sunday.That is the Monday to Fridays timetable.
On Sundays, the train to Chesham is due to leave at 21.36, whereas the Chiltern service is due to depart from Chalfont at 21.43.
It’s simply keeping the trains in order, especially given that either way one of the trains would have had to wait. And it certainly isn’t the last train of the day!
Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. Perhaps such a GPS location was close enough to resolve as being at or approaching the train's booked platform, even though it never actually arrived and was on the wrong track.The arrival time on RTT was fed by GPS data - not by track circuits. On desktop, if you hover over the time it shows you where the data came from.
Indeed. I shudder at the term 'sideswipe' when used erroneously for rail collisions, implying unguided vehicles 'bouncing off' each other in a misjudged merge scenario. Rail bound vehicles will keep rolling into each other by contrast and in this case would have still been going in opposite directions so would have as much energy to dissipate into their deforming bodyshells as in a head-on, but plausibly with one nose entering the passenger cabin of the other and peeling off a side. Potentially Horrific. So lets just not use that dismissive 'sideswipe' term please everyone!A sidelong collision on the branch crossover could have been nasty too, as side protection is less than that at the ends.
I recall they had to re-engineer the HPSS (high-performance switch system) design to mitigate that risk, inserting an extra frangible component into the drive.For completeness, some kinds of points do have a risk of derailment if trailed through, though unlikely to be the case with the ones here.
Let me start with the simple things: the cancellation reason that shows on RTT is the first that goes into TRUST. If it is subsequently corrected then that does not carry through. This is an artefact of how the feeds 'take' data from TRUST.Having read up on this thread I was compelled to check RTT to see the timings of the incident train. Now I know RTT cannot be relied upon for hard facts, but as a general guide this is quite interesting... the train left Amersham 1 minute late but apparently arrived at Chalfont right time. If the driver had a SPAD, was 'tripped', came up in a heap, reset then carried on he would have had to have been pretty quick about it to shave a whole minute off a 3 minute journey! It's all rumour and speculation that the driver reset and continued, but these timings make me wonder if he was actually stopped at all. Could the tripcock on the Chiltern unit have been defective or isolated? Could it have been a wrong side failure that caused him to have clear aspects and thus not be 'tripped'? Perhaps the arrival time on RTT at chalfont is measured from when the train entered the track circuit, which may well have been right time if he's gone through that signal at full speed? It's all food for thought but maybe, just maybe, this Chiltern driver might not be the villain that the current picture paints.
Realtime Trains - 2C72 2113 Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Chalfont and Latimer
Realtime Trains provides live realtime running information for the Great British railway network using open data.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Thank you. I missed that it was Sunday.
However I'm not sure what the benefit is of "keeping the trains in order" in this instance. Wouldn't it be better to keep the one waiting that is already stationary rather than stop one already in motion? The alternative would be an arrival at Chesham c.8 mins late at 22.52.5 which would still leave enough time to make an on-time departure of the 21.57 return service.