Did First Capital Connect still refer to it as the Thameslink route though, I can't remember now!
I
think that they referred to the Thameslink route on their maps - I can only find something on Project Mapping (
http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/FCC map 409.gif) which shows the Bedford - Sutton/ Brighton services as being the Thameslink routes (I presume that this is based on a genuine FCC map?).
There was some consternation in the railway press when they covered up the "Thameslink" part of a sign at City Thameslink station but this is going back a few years so I can't be certain whether this was an over-zealous employee removing as many references to the previous franchise (which would normally be standard practice whenever a new TOC begins) or a genuine corporate decision to try to change the name of the station.
However my memory is more like "First used the "Capital Connect" brand on their actual trains but still referred to "Thameslink" on maps/ timetables - I could be wrong, as it's going back a while!
But why does the whole thing have to be branded uniformly?
If they really wanted to plaster their group naming over everything, the liveries could have had been something like:
Thameslink
operated by First (f)
Great Northern
operated by First (f)
Well, yes, they could have, but then most franchises are branded uniformly - this isn't unique to FCC - there haven't been *many* TOCs that brand different routes like that (First Great Western Link was one, Northern Spirit had a separate livery for TransPennine services, but these are the exceptions rather than the rule).