• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In Coach Alarms on Voyagers and Pendolinos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
A question for you all which has interested me over the past nearly 3 years but have only just got round to posting about it.
I have looked on the forum and it doesn't seem to have been asked already.

It is regarding in coach alarms on Voyagers and Pendolinos - usually a combination of 3 notes put together in different orders and at different speeds. Does anyone know what they mean?

For one of the Voyager ones, the only thought I have for it is if someone is stood stopping the doors between carriages from closing as it happened once when this occured, but it could have been coincidence.

I was on a Pendo the other week and the same sequence "played" about 3 separate times within 5 minutes - the most I have ever heard it.

Hopefully you will all know which I mean, but to clarify, I have attached one of the sound files from the Network West Midlands BVE4 route which demonstrates what I mean (zipped as WAV files aren't allowed)
If you are the owner of the file, hope you don't mind me using it for this purpose.

Thanks All :)
 

Attachments

  • Voyager Alarm.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 70
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,130
Location
North East Cheshire
If it is the same one I have heard then it is the emergency alarm in the toilet and is extremely annoying, I remember a journey when a person/many people over the course of the journey set it off countless times,possibly 20.
I've also heard people set it off on Meridian's.
 
Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
I thought that the long drawn out one on the 390s was for the Train Manager to contact the Driver? This always seems to play just before the TM announces a problem?
 
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
128
Its the crew call tone. Its what the train crew use to communicate with each other. The Driver call is much lower tones much slower.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks for the info so far :)
I think the Pendo one is slower
Probably the driver wanting a cuppa! :D

The Voyagers I think it is have a 2 tone one as well (can't remember which I have heard it on)

Crew call then on these trains is much better than the 185's where is a random noise and then a message across the PIS asking a member of staff to go to the phone - blatently then everyone knows whats happening!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top