• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

impartial selling of tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,916
Location
Cambridge, UK
....and even some ticket machines can now sell tickets starting from 'other' stations (as I discovered a few weeks ago - a new 'start from another station' button had appeared on the screen !)

If this is basically a 'grumpy colleague' problem, if pointing out 'that's not what the rules say' doesn't work, maybe try a gentle reminder that those sort of attitudes are a good way of working themselves out of a job (replaced by a TVM). I know doing that is likely to create a frosty relationship, but if there is a formal complaint from an outsider about it, the 'problem' person may well think it's you that engineered the complaint anyway....
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I had exactly the same situation when I started way back in 1998. One colleague ha been working for 18 years and they thought they knew everything. They were not pleased when a young upstart like myself, with a few weeks experience, informed them pleasantly enough that if a customer asked for a split ticket they had to issue it. Their response was almost identical, along the lines of 'I don't have to do that, I'm not allowed to do that. I can only sell tickets form here. They' have to get off at whatever station it is and buy another ticket there'.

Fortunately, my colleague was not a nasty or unpleasant individual, and decided to contact the area manager for clarification, even after I had pointed out the requirement and the instruction in the local fares manual and in other literature around the office. Luckily, the manager was quite clued up on retailing, and so backed me up.

Everyone is different, but I am of the view that you need to stand up for what is right!
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,916
Location
Cambridge, UK
Everyone is different, but I am of the view that you need to stand up for what is right!

I agree. It's the 'how to do that' bit which can be difficult (especially if you're the 'young upstart', but if you judge it correctly you can end up with a better relationship with the colleague - one based on mutual respect rather than 'just do as you're told').
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Was this person your line manager or a supervisor or who?

Hi is it possible you could answer this please, this then makes it easier for others to advise how to approach them.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I agree. It's the 'how to do that' bit which can be difficult (especially if you're the 'young upstart', but if you judge it correctly you can end up with a better relationship with the colleague - one based on mutual respect rather than 'just do as you're told').

Indeed. I made sure I was not confrontational, just confused about why what my colleague said was different to what was in the printed material, which I'd read up on myself while in training. I couldn't see any point in coming across as trying to act all superior!

Hi is it possible you could answer this please, this then makes it easier for others to advise how to approach them.

It would be useful to know this. In my case, my senior colleague was merely senior in terms of service, they were not of a higher grade.

That said, if they had been a supervisor or manager, I would still have demonstrated my confusion as to the contradiction between verbal instruction and printed instruction.

As a manager myself in a different type of role, I would be a little embarrassed if someone pointed out an error in my knowledge or understanding, but it's better that they do than me getting into a pickle because of it, so I would be grateful!
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
Hi is it possible you could answer this please, this then makes it easier for others to advise how to approach them.

I've left this detail out as it would make me too identifiable on this forum when I do decide how to proceed, anonymity and all that.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I've left this detail out as it would make me too identifiable on this forum when I do decide how to proceed, anonymity and all that.

Fair enough. I hope my advice has helped and you can see your way to resolving this issue and ensuring that the rules are followed correctly before complaints arise that, could potentially, rebound on yourself.
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
Fair enough. I hope my advice has helped and you can see your way to resolving this issue and ensuring that the rules are followed correctly before complaints arise that, could potentially, rebound on yourself.

Yor advice has helped me a great deal, now from the fun and games to commence!
 

abbo1234

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2013
Messages
91
I usually get on at Preston on a Saturday lunchtime and ask for a return from Euxton Balshaw Lane to Blackpool North,as that is where i get off the train for home.Never been a problem.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
I think the problems may start to arise specifically if the tickets being asked for are anomalies, by way of price or validity. Someone higher up the chain than the ticket clerk may be aware of this and wishes to suppress said ticket, perhaps. I face a similar issue at my local station when asking for a ticket I would be starting short on.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
I've never had any problems at Bristol TM buying splits to get round the outrageous Birmingham fares.

I did get refused at Coventry when I tried to buy a day return to get me to Bletchley from the edge of the Heart of England rover area. She accused me of trying to buy multiple day returns to get me to London on a fast service!
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,916
Location
Cambridge, UK
I did get refused at Coventry when I tried to buy a day return to get me to Bletchley from the edge of the Heart of England rover area. She accused me of trying to buy multiple day returns to get me to London on a fast service!

On the other side of the coin, I was visiting Blackburn a while ago and decided to have a day trip to Carlisle.

Having worked out what seemed to be a reasonable split, I went to the ticket office, explained what I wanted, to get a response that actually a different split was cheaper (and more flexible, I think) so I said 'yes, please' and got on the train a happy customer :)
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
On the other side of the coin, I was visiting Blackburn a while ago and decided to have a day trip to Carlisle.

Having worked out what seemed to be a reasonable split, I went to the ticket office, explained what I wanted, to get a response that actually a different split was cheaper (and more flexible, I think) so I said 'yes, please' and got on the train a happy customer :)

I see that as great service. Whilst some may argue staff should not proactively offer splits, if you're already asking for one and they just so happen to know a cheaper option I think that's acceptable and you walk away with a positive impression.

I'd certainly think highly of staff who know their splits.
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
I see that as great service. Whilst some may argue staff should not proactively offer splits, if you're already asking for one and they just so happen to know a cheaper option I think that's acceptable and you walk away with a positive impression.

I'd certainly think highly of staff who know their splits.

I'm not allowed to officially offer split tickets, but I'm allowed to sell them as asked by customers... But I offer long distance splits anyway where I see some prices as a little too steep!... The way I see it is it brings back customers and gives me the edge over the TVMs.
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,916
Location
Cambridge, UK
The way I see it is it brings back customers and gives me the edge over the TVMs.

Exactly :) - with that sort of attitude, I hope you go far.

It's nice to come across someone that understands/appreciates the concept of selling something, rather than just taking the money and giving them the product they think they want. In the general face-to-face retail situation, it sometimes feels like the concept of selling is becoming a lost art.
 
Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I suppose that one downside of proactively offering splits is the need to explain the potential loss of flexibility. Clearly, on a line where all services call at the stations at which the tickets are split, there is no loss of flexibility. But in other cases (i.e. where there is an irregular calling pattern), the passenger needs to understand what flexibility they are losing in return for the saving.
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
I suppose that one downside of proactively offering splits is the need to explain the potential loss of flexibility. Clearly, on a line where all services call at the stations at which the tickets are split, there is no loss of flexibility. But in other cases (i.e. where there is an irregular calling pattern), the passenger needs to understand what flexibility they are losing in return for the saving.
a common one i do for the uni students (its usually them!) Is a ticket to Euston then a LM only to Birmingham, saves them a fair whack and keeps them off the coaches!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
You need to be careful on this as why not Chiltern from Marylebone?

Virgin have also been known to do super off-peak returns for a promotional offer at prices matching (or beating) London Midland.
 

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
You need to be careful on this as why not Chiltern from Marylebone?

Virgin have also been known to do super off-peak returns for a promotional offer at prices matching (or beating) London Midland.

for somebody who requests the cheapest as a basic product LM is cheaper
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I offer splits sometimes. There are some fare anomalies which are just plain unfair - from my neck of the woods in Greater London, a +Any Permitted Super Off Peak Single priced by FGW is almost twice the price of the ticket if it's issued from Paddington.

For example, Coulsdon South to Bristol SSS is £58. A Travelcard is £8.90, plus £31.50 for a London Terminals to Bristol SSS.
 

snail

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
1,912
Location
t'North
I'm not allowed to officially offer split tickets, but I'm allowed to sell them as asked by customers... But I offer long distance splits anyway where I see some prices as a little too steep!... The way I see it is it brings back customers and gives me the edge over the TVMs.
Hmmm. Could this the cause of your problem? Is the blanket restriction a way of stopping you from offering split tickets?
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,475
Location
London
Virgin have also been known to do super off-peak returns for a promotional offer at prices matching (or beating) London Midland.

Virgin have also recently introduced Super Off-Peak tickets as a permanent product on most London - West Midlands flows, priced only slightly higher than the Chiltern ones but with harsh restrictions, per page 2 of this PDF document.

Being routed "Any Permitted", such tickets are also valid on Chiltern, subject to the same restrictions, and as they use the old SuperSaver ticket types, they qualify for GroupSave if travelling with Chiltern both ways...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top