• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
The rather boring (to me :lol:) location of Southend is correct, and gg1 has it. Originally a terminus, through services commenced in the 1880s. Platform 1 is rarely used and Platform 2 is closed late at night and on most Sundays (all through traffic is diverted on to Platform 3). And the odd operator? The District of course!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I have one platform, served by one TOC and not many tickets are sold here yet huge numbers of passengers pass through this station every year. Trains serving me have a carriage length range of three. Where am I?
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Not Droitwich Spa!

I don't see what is meant by "only a not many tickets"? Are you saying few are sold?
Does Droitwich Spa have one platform??

Sorry that was a typo, I have edited it now. ;)
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Liverpool Central (the majority of tickets will be sold at other stations with the destination as Liverpool)? I think you can get 3 and 6 car trains there as well, but never more than that?
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
No, it's not Berney Arms, way too quiet.

Clue: I am in a built up area though there are lovely views from the station.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Bordesley
No, does Bordesley have 1 platform? ;)
Sea Mills ?

open floor if correct
Nope.

To consolidate the clues so far:
  • I have one platform
  • I am served by 1 TOC
  • I am on the edge of a built up area but have lovly views from the platform.
  • Very few tickets are sold at this station though huge numbers of passengers pass through in the summer.
  • The range between the shortest and longest trains is three carriages.
New clue: I am within a mile of one of the longest roads in Britain.
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Thinking about a pic of yours in Guess the Station, let's try Lelant Saltings.

I have one platform Can't deny that!
I am served by 1 TOC FGW Only
I am on the edge of a built up area but have lovly views from the platform. Not a very large built up area but it is still technically built up...
Very few tickets are sold at this station though huge numbers of passengers pass through in the summer. Park & Ride for St Ives; most sales are attributed to SIV
The range between the shortest and longest trains is three carriages. Sometimes gets 153s but 2x150s are known to appear in summer
I am within a mile of one of the longest roads in Britain A30

A couple of the above are a bit iffy, but we'll see.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Was going to say Blackpool South, but then changed my mind..

Lets try Bearley
Neither.
Lympstone Commando? :o
No.
Thinking about a pic of yours in Guess the Station, let's try Lelant Saltings.

I have one platform Can't deny that!
I am served by 1 TOC FGW Only
I am on the edge of a built up area but have lovly views from the platform. Not a very large built up area but it is still technically built up...
Very few tickets are sold at this station though huge numbers of passengers pass through in the summer. Park & Ride for St Ives; most sales are attributed to SIV
The range between the shortest and longest trains is three carriages. Sometimes gets 153s but 2x150s are known to appear in summer
I am within a mile of one of the longest roads in Britain A30

A couple of the above are a bit iffy, but we'll see.
Correct!!! :D
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Very good :)

Next up then:

The following is a clue about a certain urban area.

This urban area (of between 10,000 and 250,000) is home to two of the oldest stations in its county. Both of the examples to which this refers were originally opened with names that featured two different settlements (as with Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon, for instance), neither of which still exists in this form; in both cases, the "& _________" was dropped a long time ago. The urban area exists on a major commuter route which also sees a significant amount of outer-suburban and longer-distance traffic and a fair amount of freight. Both stations have more than two platforms, but the exact number is not the same; this is partly because one of the two also functions as a terminus.

Neither of the stations in the above clue is correct. Instead, what is the next station up the line en route to the local major centre?
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Ye wild guesses be wrong. Very wrong.

The line is electrified though, so that is one thing you seem to have hitched on to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone else care to try? The "local major centre" in question is one of Manchester, Birmingham and London.
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Sorry, no. Would have answered sooner but I've been busy. You are right in that the "local major centre" is London though.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
No worries about being offline - it's your floor when you want it. Harold Wood is right. The other stations are Shenfield [& Hutton] and Brentwood [& Warley].
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,765
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
No worries about being offline - it's your floor when you want it. Harold Wood is right. The other stations are Shenfield [& Hutton] and Brentwood [& Warley].

Thanks. The stations must have been renamed in the 1960s as I have a mid 60s rail atlas which still shows the old names, but they had been renamed by the time I started visiting the area in the early 70s.

--------------------------------------------------------

This station previously had 2 platforms as an island inbetween the fast / passenger lines of a 4 track main line. But in the 1980s the slow / freight lines were singled and a third platform was added on these. It previously had an overall roof, but this was demolished in the 1970s.

It has 3 trains an hour in each direction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top