• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Illegal Fox hunt takes place on railway line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2011
Messages
954
Location
Milton Keynes, UK
From the news story:
The IFAW member who filmed the incident, who wished to remain anonymous, said it was "completely irresponsible".
...
"This is a main line railway, I don't know what would have happened if they'd have hit the hounds on that line."

From personal experience, I can tell the "IFAW member" that what happens is that the dogs get hit, lose limbs and lay around on the track some dead, others shaking uncontrollably whilst waiting to die.

Not a pretty sight.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Not only is there the cruelty towards the ox, the danger for the dogs and possibly the travelling public is rather high too, totally inexcusable in my eyes.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Though the thread title is slightly misleading as there was no fox hunt that took place on the railway line.

It was where they ended up after allegedly chasing the fox.
 

DavidBrown

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
234
Location
North Devon
I think the important thing about a case like this is not to turn it into a pro/anti fox hunting debate. Anti hunters will inevitably claim that it proves all fox hunting is bad, and pro hunters will defend the fact that they got their dogs off the line as soon as they knew, and were being very responsible.

Personally, I think that the hunters were a bit silly holding a meet near to a railway line, or headed towards a railway line. I know that they will cover a lot of miles, but surely as soon as they are aware they're nearing a railway line or motorway, they should call the dogs back before something like this happens. Of course you'll still get anti hunters complaining of apparent "hunting", but the hunters have stayed well within the law and kept everyone and everything safe.
 

Bon Accord

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
111
Location
61B
Another non story designed to whip up the emotions of anti hunt brigade.
The hounds ran onto the line unintentionally and were immediately called back - no offence, no delays and no problem.
Personally I've never seen the point of Fox Hunts as they're rather inefficient, in my part of the world a 12 bore is the preferred medium - you can bag far more of the little beggars in one sitting.
 

blacknight

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2009
Messages
543
Location
Crow Park
Cunning Mr Fox attempting to dispose of a pack of chasing hounds using a passing train, they could make a film out of an episode like that.:lol: The Belstone Fox 2 hopefully next time he will lure redcoats into the 4'<(
 
Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Nevermind dogs on the line, someone drove a car to the summit of Snowdon using the railway line.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Typical BBC non-story, the sooner its public funding is cut the better. A supposedly neutral organisation that has an obvious left wing bias and anti-hunt stance - I have no hunting stance either way btw.

No trespass was committed, there was probably no illegal hunt taking place and that's probably the last of it.
 
Last edited:

HYPODERMIC

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2011
Messages
88
Location
Chingford
Typical BBC non-story, the sooner its public funding is cut the better. A supposedly neutral organisation that has an obvious left wing bias
:roll: ...As if this topic wasn't already primed to blow. I'm not a mod, and I'm not pretending to be, but can we please not needlessly bring politics into this?

I agree that this story doesn't quite live up to the headline hype, but the impression I got from watching the video report was that this was angled as one of those "and also in the news..."/'quirky' curiosities that get put on to raise an eyebrow but little more.

Edit: I should also add that I do agree with the principle of the rest of your post though; I don't think any crime has been committed here and the parties involved appear to have acted responsibly.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Well at least the hunters got the dogs off the track quickly, and the fox legged it without smashing into the next Express service. There isn't much else to be said.
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
Typical BBC non-story, the sooner its public funding is cut the better. A supposedly neutral organisation that has an obvious left wing bias and anti-hunt stance - I have no hunting stance either way btw.

No trespass was committed, there was probably no illegal hunt taking place and that's probably the last of it.

Please tell me how the article showed any left-wing or anti-hunt bias. "No trespass was committed" - true - but then that was stated in the article, "there was probably no illegal hunt taking place" - well that's for the police to decide.
 

brianthegiant

Member
Joined
12 May 2010
Messages
588
Typical BBC non-story, the sooner its public funding is cut the better. A supposedly neutral organisation that has an obvious left wing bias and anti-hunt stance

A left wing organisation that should have its funding cut?
You're sounding very much like the Murdochs here.
Great, lets trash the bbc & replace it with more news international? I think not.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Network Rail are responsible for maintaining fences to prevent incidents of this type, I seem to recall, which is why they have to pay compo whenever they hit any cows/horses/sheep on the line.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top