• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you want to be a train driver.... (Don't give up!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kingscott

Member
Joined
27 May 2014
Messages
124
Location
West Midlands
Hi everyone,

After nearly 4 years of chasing the dream, I am now nearly 2 months into my training. The majority of my class also waited nearly as long as me...

Some advice for anyone who wants this, as I know how frustrating it can be.

I applied to a different TOC in 2013 and completed the assessment process with them. TRP 1 and TRP 2 - 2013. Manager Interview in 2014. Next stage medical ?? (Never came)

If you are successful at TRP 1 or 2 or hopefully both, these scores are recognised by all UK operated TOCs, so you can apply to others at anytime. I did.

I applied to 3 different freight companies, 2 of which moved me straight into an "Interview talent pool" and the other gave me an interview and then a medical - which I passed... I must stress!!! DO NOT hand your notice in if you are currently employed until you have a formal offer. All 3 FOCs closed recruitment within 6 months and I was left with my original application in 2013.

In 2014 I applied to another couple of TOCs, 1 paper sifted me due to post code of home address and the other... well still to this day has never been in touch.

In 2015 I saw an advert for a TOC which operated in my home town and I am now glad to say after an interview I now work for them.

The greatest tools you have to hand is 1) This forum, check it daily!

and

2) http://www.traindriver.org/job-vacancies--what-to-do-next.html# - Not only check this daily but scroll down and sign up to job alerts to all of the companies that apply or will let you.

I hope this helps!

Over 4 years I had one offer from about 8 companies I applied to :roll: and did a job I no longer wanted to do for another 4 years. Remember, you may rely on that company one day for a gleaming reference one day so chin up, keep your standards high whatever you do and NEVER GIVE UP!

Regards,

Kingy

p.s. the original TOC I applied to in 2013 emailed me 3 weeks before I had the offer my current employer. They pulled the plug on recruitment! So always have a plan B! ;););)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2014
Messages
2,593
Great to see a success story. Well done on acheiveing your dream. A lot of great key points in there. I hope to make the same venture you did at some point in the future, I already work with the railway although not on the operational side.
Thanks,
Ross
 
Last edited:

Starman

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2016
Messages
56
An excellent post and well done on achieving you're dream! I have been following you're posts on another thread as I have passed the recruitment process with the same TOC as you now work for. I was told at the interview I would be on the October course, however this is not the case and having spoke to HR was told that I would have to wait until next year. My fear is that the same may happen to me as what you experienced, ie been told that I'm no longer required. I have been told by somebody I know who recently started the October course that the TOC will still require more trainee drivers next year. Are you aware of this being the case? If so I would greatly appreciate if you could confirm this and once again congratulations on your achievement.
 

CaseyJones

Member
Joined
29 Feb 2016
Messages
49
Great message there OP, i too am on the same journey although have been trying for only 1 year at the moment! I've previously passed TRP 1 and TRP 2 also with another TOC and unfortunately failed the DMI. Obviously this is logged on a national data base and hopefully puts me in good stead with any future applications.
Good luck to all (You've got to be in it to win it!)
 

d_kingscott

Member
Joined
27 May 2014
Messages
124
Location
West Midlands
Firstly, I do not think you will not get a start date. Everyone I have spoken to has waited a long time, but have always had good news in the end. My advice would be considering the depot you applied for, contact HR and state you would be happy to work at another depot if this is any help. I know 3 on my course applied for somewhere else and then changed their preference. Do what you can to get your foot in the door!

Secondly, Yes more trainees are required and recruitment will continue in all areas.

The only disruption to this number may depend on the franchise bid which is currently under way for next year. I know the franchise expires October 2017 and a winning bidder is announced around June/July 2017.

However we have been told, in terms of job movement this usually only effects the senior management team. For current employees you will wear a different uniform and thats about it.

Good luck!
 

Starman

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2016
Messages
56
Thank you for the reply it's very much appreciated. That's certainly put my mind at rest as like yourself I've being pursuing this dream for a long time, nearly 3 years now and having got this far would be very disappointed if nothing happened. I've applied for the busiest depots and been told by HR that things tend to move quicker at these depots, however the advice you have given is certainly food for thought. Once again thank you and I wish you all the best in your new career.
 

CoreXII

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2016
Messages
23
Thank you for the reply it's very much appreciated. That's certainly put my mind at rest as like yourself I've being pursuing this dream for a long time, nearly 3 years now and having got this far would be very disappointed if nothing happened. I've applied for the busiest depots and been told by HR that things tend to move quicker at these depots, however the advice you have given is certainly food for thought. Once again thank you and I wish you all the best in your new career.

I am in your situation too, just playing the waiting game now.

A great, postive story Kingscott, hopefully be seeing you around in the future!
 

Gekko5154

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
89
Definitely never give up!!

I myself had an assessment with GTR in July 2015. I had done as much preparation as possible but was still nervous on the day.
The first test was the group bourdon where practice is key if you wish to excel in this test. I had purchased a book from How2become which had lots of practice material. I passed that test. Next was TRP1(glop test) and TRP2(dials and cables). For the glop test I would say writing bullet points would be beneficial. I was able to pass that test also. Next up was the dials and cables. Make sure you understand the task before starting. I didn't ask for help and that was my downfall. The test had started and I didn't understand what I was supposed to do but by the time i did I was playing catch up. I failed TRP2 (got national pass but not enhanced) so was sent home. Disappointment is an understatement.

Fast forward exactly 1year and I apply for a different TOC and make it to the assessment stage. My scores from GTR were put forward so didn't have to resit the group bourdon, trp1 and trp2. Next up was the tea-occ(3 parts). The first was listening out for the low tones. Next up was the symbol search and last was doing both at the same time. There is loads of information on here about that so no need to go into it. I passed that. Next up were the computer tests. Staring at a screen with a grey box and pressing the button everytime it goes black. Then the ATAVT and the 2 hand co ordination. With the 2 hand co ordination I went outside the track a million times but as long as you can get from one end to the other quickly then you'll pass.

Next up was the SJE which isn't scored. Then you have a written communication test and then you have to write down your answers for the 6 questions on the MMI ( the same 6 questions you'll find posted all over here).

Thankfully I passed and now awaiting a DMI. So definitely don't ever give up as you never know what's around the corner.
 

area 39

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
62
Thank you for a great post, keeping my head up more than ever before after reading it.

I passed the first half of the drivers assessment with EMT but failed at the company competency based interview.

How can I take the other half of the tests ? (can i pay myself and could I only do the 2nd half?)

Will I have to take the first half again when I apply to other TOCs ?

How long will my first half test scores last ?

Thanks.
 

GMT

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2015
Messages
292
Location
Kent
Thank you for a great post, keeping my head up more than ever before after reading it.

I passed the first half of the drivers assessment with EMT but failed at the company competency based interview.

How can I take the other half of the tests ? (can i pay myself and could I only do the 2nd half?)

Will I have to take the first half again when I apply to other TOCs ?

How long will my first half test scores last ?

Thanks.

Hi area 39,

I'm in the same situation as yours.

I recently failed big time the MMI interview with Thameslink. Most of it was my fault :oops:, as I didn't stick for at least three questions to the STAR format in the answers. I went too much off on a tangent. On the other hand my office background didn't certainly help. The interviewer must have driven crazy about the rubbish I told him, he was writing like speedy gonzales. Poor man.

Anyway, he also told me that my results would last for three years (if I'm not wrong), therefore I suppose I would only need to do another MMI. But I have to wait for 6 months before re-applying with any other TOC.

Please anybody correct me if I said anything wrong above.

I have only one doubt. I also passed the DMI interview with Thameslink, do I have to resit another DMI interview should I apply with the same TOC or even another one.

I feel a bit discouraged at present but if I have a chance next year or whenever within those three years I'll try again and this time I'll prepare my answers better.

area 39...good luck.
 

JohnFM

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2015
Messages
214
Hi area 39,

I'm in the same situation as yours.

I recently failed big time the MMI interview with Thameslink. Most of it was my fault :oops:, as I didn't stick for at least three questions to the STAR format in the answers. I went too much off on a tangent. On the other hand my office background didn't certainly help. The interviewer must have driven crazy about the rubbish I told him, he was writing like speedy gonzales. Poor man.

Anyway, he also told me that my results would last for three years (if I'm not wrong), therefore I suppose I would only need to do another MMI. But I have to wait for 6 months before re-applying with any other TOC.

Please anybody correct me if I said anything wrong above.

I have only one doubt. I also passed the DMI interview with Thameslink, do I have to resit another DMI interview should I apply with the same TOC or even another one.

I feel a bit discouraged at present but if I have a chance next year or whenever within those three years I'll try again and this time I'll prepare my answers better.

area 39...good luck.

Why would your office background not help? That has nothing to do with it. It is down to you and your abilities and your interview questions. If you failed then you failed, not because of what your current job is.

Many on here post how frustrated they are and that the TOC owes then etc, etc, ad inifinitum, et nauseum.

Check occasionally, every 2 - 3 days, (daily is a bit much) and get a life. Live a life. Do stuff.

Sitting and waiting as if you're in the dentists surgery, putting doing anything to one side, will do you no good at all.
 

GMT

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2015
Messages
292
Location
Kent
Why would your office background not help? That has nothing to do with it. It is down to you and your abilities and your interview questions. If you failed then you failed, not because of what your current job is.

Many on here post how frustrated they are and that the TOC owes then etc, etc, ad inifinitum, et nauseum.

Check occasionally, every 2 - 3 days, (daily is a bit much) and get a life. Live a life. Do stuff.

Sitting and waiting as if you're in the dentists surgery, putting doing anything to one side, will do you no good at all.

Hi JohnFM, thanks for the lecture and sorry for irritating you.

Allow me please to add that I didn't say that I'm frustrated. Did I say anything against the TOC? I also put myself in the interviewer's shoes. Of course I've got a life, I'm not flogging myself, life goes on. I'm 51 and I've seen a lot in my life, believe me.

In my opinion you could have expressed you view in a more elegant way.

I also admitted that it was my fault because I didn't prepare my answers as I should have done, what do you want to hear more? I made a mistake and I will learn from it. Possibly when I said 'discouraged', that must have triggered off the need to reply to me in the way you did.

Anyway, let's leave it. Sorry again for spoiling your day and all the best.

Peace man.
 

nom de guerre

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2015
Messages
801
In my opinion you could have expressed you view in a more elegant way.

This.

Some industry posters on here seem to delight in being rude for no apparent reason.

There are a small number of especially whiny/delusional contributors who may benefit from a blunt response (eg the bloke who recently alleged CORRUPTION and NEPOTISM in NR HR - his caps!) but I did not detect that tone from your message.

JohnFM has a point regarding your office background - surely you must have accumulated plenty of transferable skills? - but, at least to this impartial observer, the rest of his reply seemed more about maintaining his self-appointed image as a 'blunt speaker' than offering constructive advice.

Did you complain about the TOC? No. Did you suggest that the TOC owed you anything? No. Did you state that you were "frustrated"? No. Did you say that you would be checking the vacancy list "daily" (or, indeed, mention it at all)? Nope.

So why did JohnFM spend three paragraphs of a four-paragraph message criticising you for 'offences' which, as far as I can see, you had not committed? Why the unnecessary and, frankly, rather patronising exhortations to, "... get a life", "Live a life" and - 'best' of all - "Do stuff" (er, what?).

Unfortunately I cannot answer your DMI query (I'm a signaller) but best wishes for the future. Don't forget you have a wealth of life experience to draw on, as well as your career history. Keep honing those competency examples and the STAR formula and let us know how you get on.
 

GMT

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2015
Messages
292
Location
Kent
JohnFM has a point regarding your office background

True, it seemed that I used my background as an excuse for not passing the interview. However, I said that a few of my answers didn't follow the STAR format. But I know what to do next time, if there is one, I mean if I'm able to re-apply in three years. It was a fail but a useful one.

I don't hold the grudge, I know what JohnFM meant. Yes, sometimes some guys moan and whine excessively. But I think we shouldn't be too harsh even with those chaps. But I think I always try to put some irony in my posts. No dramas.

I'm just so happy that I found this forum. It's so interesting, irrespective of the jobs section.

Good weekend to all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top