al.currie93
Member
- Joined
- 27 Jun 2013
- Messages
- 381
Something that I thought would be an interesting point of discussion: if you ran the railways, what stock would you use on which types of routes??
To give some guidelines, what stock would people use on:
- Suburban commuter routes; such as the London inner and outer suburban routes.
- Regional routes; such as Thameslink, London to Peterborough, Victoria to Portsmouth and Brighton stoppers, Thames valley services etc.
- Express services with regular stops; such as GEML stoppers, Victoria to Brighton expresses, Plymouth to Penzance etc.
- Express services with few stops; such as ECML, WCML, GWML expresses, GEML and SWML fast services etc.
- Branch lines; such as the Looe Valley (I think) line
No restrictions on the age of trains, method or traction, or any other potential real world restrictions, just make it what you want! (Wierder the better! Though if anyone suggests Pacers for the WCML, I know a good therapist
ha!)
To start it off, I'm a big fan of the BREL Mk3 family, and would electrify everything except branch lines, so:
Class 455 (the first train I ever went on!) for suburban commuter routes
Class 319 for regional routes
Class 442 for express services with regular stops
Class 91 hauling Mk 3 coaches for express services with few stops
Class 150 for branch lines
Let's see what other people would use :P
To give some guidelines, what stock would people use on:
- Suburban commuter routes; such as the London inner and outer suburban routes.
- Regional routes; such as Thameslink, London to Peterborough, Victoria to Portsmouth and Brighton stoppers, Thames valley services etc.
- Express services with regular stops; such as GEML stoppers, Victoria to Brighton expresses, Plymouth to Penzance etc.
- Express services with few stops; such as ECML, WCML, GWML expresses, GEML and SWML fast services etc.
- Branch lines; such as the Looe Valley (I think) line
No restrictions on the age of trains, method or traction, or any other potential real world restrictions, just make it what you want! (Wierder the better! Though if anyone suggests Pacers for the WCML, I know a good therapist
To start it off, I'm a big fan of the BREL Mk3 family, and would electrify everything except branch lines, so:
Class 455 (the first train I ever went on!) for suburban commuter routes
Class 319 for regional routes
Class 442 for express services with regular stops
Class 91 hauling Mk 3 coaches for express services with few stops
Class 150 for branch lines
Let's see what other people would use :P