Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
The only things that are bad about 170s are fixable - too-small luggage racks, failed internal doors and a slightly poor ride at the vehicle ends. They are otherwise a good solid unit that will I'm sure last many years.
The only things that are bad about 170s are fixable - too-small luggage racks, failed internal doors and a slightly poor ride at the vehicle ends. They are otherwise a good solid unit that will I'm sure last many years.
It's a shame they weren't ALL supplied with the lightweight bogies as found on the 172s, as although they can use Sprinter differentials they AIUI have quite high track access charges due to weight. They're also quite sluggish by all accounts!
Has the OP got any ideas for ideal DMU's?
If you're going to have centralised power, then it makes sense to have it at the ends where swaps are easier in the case of failures as well as for regular maintenance.I've got one. For an IC DMU I would have a 7-car one with two high rated engines (maybe in centre coaches where I would have a buffet coach)...
I've got one. For an IC DMU I would have a 7-car one with two high rated engines (maybe in centre coaches where I would have a buffet coach) Maybe that.
Or, make an APT that actually works
i would have a car with no seats so you can get maximum seating capacity
So, a class 43 with extra seats and windows then? Bashers might like that.Vehicles 1 and 7 would have a driving cab, an engine compartment and a small passenger saloon. The 2 power plants would need to be sufficient to shift an 8 coach train.
Vehicles 2 and 6 would be passenger saloons (no engines) but with power bogies, semi-permanently coupled up to 1 and 7.
said wrong thing
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
for a commuter DMU i would have 3+2 seating and wide doors. Oh, and since now theres a lot of obsession with standing pax i would have a car with no seats so you can get maximum seating capacity
The APT was a classic design in my opinion and it's a great shame that they didn't work properly.
IF the APT was put into service, would we have as much complaining about the pendo's?
Mine might look a bit like this, but longer than 2 coaches:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/no/diesel/dmu/BM92/NSB9201.jpg
(Interior)
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/no/diesel/dmu/BM92/NSB-BM92_59_Interior.jpg
Or maybe:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/at/diesel/dmu/5147/5147_004_Hai.jpg
What about a pantograph version of a pacer?
Is this what you were thinking of?