• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could only save one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP13

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2018
Messages
512
Partly inspired by what I saw on another thread.

Imagine this is the beginning of the preservation movement. You can preserve one example of every single locomotive type.

Which individual member of each class would you preserve and why would that individual locomotive but none of the others?

I'm guessing Mallard as the only A4 is obvious and to a lesser degree Flying Scotsman as the only A3 and Evening Star as the only 9F. But which Black Five etc would have been most worthy of preservation?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
I wish EPB 5001 had been preserved. It was the original, and had been lovingly restored by BR in the last days of the EPB's. Plus I went on some excellent railtours on it as well.
 

UP13

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2018
Messages
512
Not as familiar with individual electric and diesel locomotives or units so I'd go with the first production copy with the exception of the Class 92 that pulled the last ever BR service in 1997 and the EMU that pulled the first ever privatised service. I'd preserve a 33/1 over a 33/0 so it could haul slam door units. I'd preserve Evening Star of the 66s (I think it is already ear marked for it).

Steam wise I'd go for.

LNER A3 - Flying Scotsman/Papyrus
LNER A4 - Mallard
LNER V2 - Green Arrow
Merchant Navy - Royal Mail (last authenticated 100mph run before Tornado)
Light Pacific - Winston Churchill
King - George V
City - City of Truro
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,340
Difficult choice. Would probably include (steam):
41286 - Last push-pull fitted Ivatt 2-6-2T - and a local Sutton Oak resident.
46656 - Webb ex-LNWR 2-4-2T, also once at Sutton Oak.
61438 - B16 4-6-0, the first one I saw - at Wigan on an excursion to Southport.
60152 - A1 4-6-2, also the first LNER pacific I saw - and also at Wigan.
50455 - The last ex-L&YR 4-6-0. Found it even more interesting than the football, looking over the "fence" at Blackpool FC, which was next to Blackpool Central shed.
67417 or 67421 - ex-GCR C13 4-4-2T - to remember ny few rides from Guide Bridge to Oldham Clegg St.
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,085
This is a good thread for several reasons - it reminds us how many and varied are the locomotives that have Actually been saved and that we have seen in action. We then start remembering locomotives that were part of our growing up, where we were and what we were doing at that time.
Back to the point though, I wish that one of the LMS Garrett's had been saved - I can remember my father pointing them out when we went through Wellingborough on the train - but I was not sure which of the grimy, dirty close packed locomotives it/they were! I was quite young at the time.....
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,022
71000 Duke of Gloucester was a safe bet :)

Another unique loco, that I really regret not being available for preservation is 71000's nominal predecessor, 46202 Princess Anne. From the few surviving photos, she looked to have been a really handsome loco, arguably combining the best features of the Princesses and Duchesses. Despite being only 8 weeks old (from rebuilding from the Turbomotive) when wrecked at Harrow, she was deemed too badly damaged to repair.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,048
Location
St Albans
Claud Hamilton S46 as GER no. 1900 and in Royal Blue, and/or LNER 8783 in royal Train condition.
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,601
It's a shame a Grange wasn't preserved. I know there's a new build one (6880) being built
 

Edders23

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2018
Messages
567
I think amongst the 25kv a/c electrics 87101 was the one which really should have been preserved but

LMS 10000 as the pioneer diesel loco it should have been kept for the nation
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top