• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If there are no first class fares does this mean First Class is declassified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDB

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2011
Messages
728
A quick question.

Am I right in thinking that if the timetable doesn't show first class being available and the service is run with stock with a first class it is automatically declassified?

What about if the service isn't in the timetable?

I ask because I might go to the Lincoln Christmas market on the special train from Derby.
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/Christmas/Lincoln-Christmas-Market/
When I look up the journey there are no first class fares on either East Midlands trains or national rail. Does this mean that if the service is run using an HST or meridian I can sit in first class with a standard ticket?

DDB
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
A quick question.

Am I right in thinking that if the timetable doesn't show first class being available and the service is run with stock with a first class it is automatically declassified?

Depends on the TOC. NXEA not. Northern Rail yes. I do not know EMTs policy.

What about if the service isn't in the timetable?

I ask because I might go to the Lincoln Christmas market on the special train from Derby.
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/Christmas/Lincoln-Christmas-Market/
When I look up the journey there are no first class fares on either East Midlands trains or national rail. Does this mean that if the service is run using an HST or meridian I can sit in first class with a standard ticket?

DDB

For a special train such as this, I would be surprised if you were allowed in First without paying a supplement on board.

Surely there _are_ first fares to cater for the once-daily Lincoln-St Panc train?
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
The East Coast planner is showing it as having first class.

The existence or lack of first class fares between any 2 points on a service is irrelevant, for example I suspect a Birmingham to Grimsby first class ticket would be valid on it
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,622
Location
LBK
A quick question.

Am I right in thinking that if the timetable doesn't show first class being available and the service is run with stock with a first class it is automatically declassified?

What about if the service isn't in the timetable?

I ask because I might go to the Lincoln Christmas market on the special train from Derby.
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/Christmas/Lincoln-Christmas-Market/
When I look up the journey there are no first class fares on either East Midlands trains or national rail. Does this mean that if the service is run using an HST or meridian I can sit in first class with a standard ticket?

DDB


No. The lack of a point-to-point fare for your journey is irrelevant. What matters is if it's shown in the timetable has having First Class accommodation.

In this case the service conveys First Class so it is not declassified.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
No. The lack of a point-to-point fare for your journey is irrelevant. What matters is if it's shown in the timetable has having First Class accommodation.

I think the issue is that the service is not in the (printed) timetable but appears in the journey planners. However the journey planners do show it as conveying first class.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I do not know. But the train in question is on a weekend....

The EMT page linked to above says: :-?

Lincoln Christmas Market
Friday 7 December

The following train services will run in addition to the normal timetable on Friday 7 December

Trains To Lincoln

1045 from Derby, calling at Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1157

1301 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1400

1701 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1750
 

DDB

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2011
Messages
728
I think the issue is that the service is not in the (printed) timetable but appears in the journey planners. However the journey planners do show it as conveying first class.

That is exactly the issue. I am thinking of taking the Saturday train so weekend first is a consideration. I don't see a first class fare when I look on journey planners (East Coast, East Midlands Trains, National Rail)

DDB
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
That is exactly the issue. I am thinking of taking the Saturday train so weekend first is a consideration. I don't see a first class fare when I look on journey planners (East Coast, East Midlands Trains, National Rail)

DDB

A lack of a first class fare between any two points on a service including its start and end points does not mean that there is no first class on board. Another example is that a Worcester to Lincoln first class fare is available and passengers using such a ticket will not expect there to be standard class passengers in the same part of the train where it has not been declassified.

Taking today's 17.49 from Nottingham to Lincoln which is mentioned on the link you provided in post #1, you can see by looking at the attached image that this (and I expect all the ones on that page) service conveys first class.

If you wanted to travel in the first class accommodation (without buying an upgrade) you would need to either buy from a station further away or to one further away.
 

Attachments

  • lin.jpeg
    lin.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top