• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If the class 38 and 48 had gone ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
Five class 48s existed, but they were just 47s with a different engine. They only lasted five or six years before being converted to 47s.
That's a completely different kettle of fish to the class 48 design that BR proposed in the late eighties though. I had previously heard that it was intended to be a passenger design, but would have been rendered fairly superfluous by "Sprinterisation" at any rate so I could be wrong there.
 
Last edited:

Photohunter71

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2012
Messages
576
Location
In a flat beside Niddrie West junction
Might get 38's yet.

I'd be interested as to why you think that is the case. I would have thought both projects were binned after the class 60 was chosen for freight and more DMU's were selected for passenger work.
The design which was mooted would have been interesting, so another Co-Co axle arrangement and slab end design. Class 48's may have been similar?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top