Broken Viking
On Moderation
Hail All! 
I've not had enough time for more than the briefest of skims through this thread since I last visited, but I have a feeling that the DaFT are completely barking up the wrong tree in seeking new designs of train for this project... :roll:
I mean: For a "dual-fuel" train solution; What's wrong with a Class 370 APT-P with a 50 or 66 marshalled between the two original APT power-cars? Although the loco in question wouldn't be capable of tilting into bends unlike the rest of the train, tilting suspension is only provided for passenger comfort, and - Assuming that I've been reading the research info in Two Miles a Minute correctly - It makes no difference whatsoever whether the train tilts or not, as far as potential to derail is concerned.
(Not to mention that "building" an APT-P fleet could be done very quickly and easily by just converting the existing IC-225 fleet, which was initially based on the APT anyway!
)
My point here is: As the 50/66 arranged in the centre of the train would be unmanned and driven remotely, it could safely be used as a Diesel traction unit in the middle of an APT set without any form of safety or operational implications. What's wrong with Diesel, by the way? 8)
Farewell...
>> Death <<
I've not had enough time for more than the briefest of skims through this thread since I last visited, but I have a feeling that the DaFT are completely barking up the wrong tree in seeking new designs of train for this project... :roll:
I mean: For a "dual-fuel" train solution; What's wrong with a Class 370 APT-P with a 50 or 66 marshalled between the two original APT power-cars? Although the loco in question wouldn't be capable of tilting into bends unlike the rest of the train, tilting suspension is only provided for passenger comfort, and - Assuming that I've been reading the research info in Two Miles a Minute correctly - It makes no difference whatsoever whether the train tilts or not, as far as potential to derail is concerned.

(Not to mention that "building" an APT-P fleet could be done very quickly and easily by just converting the existing IC-225 fleet, which was initially based on the APT anyway!
My point here is: As the 50/66 arranged in the centre of the train would be unmanned and driven remotely, it could safely be used as a Diesel traction unit in the middle of an APT set without any form of safety or operational implications. What's wrong with Diesel, by the way? 8)
Farewell...
>> Death <<