• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

idiot driver gets light penalty for disobeying crossing lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
What an appalling 'newspaper' report. It gives no indication whatever of the circumstances (and presumably there must have been some) that led to the absolute discharge.

Maybe due to space limitations or reporting restrictions? It does seem bizzare that the offender got an absolute discharge:o
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
So are you guys saying they have these cameras that are hard to spot.... but if you don't break the speed limit nothing happens? I think I can see a solution!

If its what i am thinking of then what a radical idea! :lol:
Cant see it catching on though! ;)
 

plymothian

Member
Joined
26 Sep 2010
Messages
757
Location
Plymouth
From comparisons with GPS I know my car over-reads approx 10% more than any speed so 33mph is 30mph, 44mph is 40mph, 55mph is 50mph etc. So sticking to the displayed 50mph in SPECs roadwork areas, gives me a 5mph margin.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
If this refers to the cameras on the gantries near Heathrow on the M25, those are now digital and are active 24/7 whether either the 70mph limit or a lower variable limit is in force; they were turned on a couple of months ago.

I thought they were only triggered when a speed was displayed on the signs?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,952
Location
UK
I thought they were only triggered when a speed was displayed on the signs?

That was my belief too, but I always thought that they would eventually be on all the time. I assume they've also addressed the issue about only having one in operation (single lane) at any one time. Presumably something to do with multiple radar usage or something.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
That was my belief too, but I always thought that they would eventually be on all the time. I assume they've also addressed the issue about only having one in operation (single lane) at any one time. Presumably something to do with multiple radar usage or something.

They're going to catch a lot of people doing 90+ in lane 3 then if they're on all the time!

I haven't driven the new A1-A10 section of the M25 yet (though will be doing it intensively in June, July and August), does anyone know what the score is with the enforcement cameras there (i.e what are they enforcing and when are they on!).
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
I'd love to know (as i reported earlier) why, with both my old banger cars, if I pass the 30 mph SID at 29 or indeed 30, no warning, and if i pass at 31, i get flashed (done purposely to test my speedo). All my previous cars, since they invented the SID, were the same -that accurate.

Reading some of the responses here, I thought perhaps I had mistakenly logged on to Autosport or some such site. The pathetic response to speed checking is, well, ... fill it in yourself. What is it with men and cars?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I forgot to put this point. Are there stats on the ratio of men to women who go through LC warnings? I have read of women doing this.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
From my experience of manning a level crossing women are just as likely to do it.
I've certainly reported both men and women for ignoring the wig-wags.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
They're going to catch a lot of people doing 90+ in lane 3 then if they're on all the time!

I haven't driven the new A1-A10 section of the M25 yet (though will be doing it intensively in June, July and August), does anyone know what the score is with the enforcement cameras there (i.e what are they enforcing and when are they on!).

They are enforcing the speed limit. Stick to that and you should be fine! Bizarre question.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I thought they were only triggered when a speed was displayed on the signs?

That was my belief too, but I always thought that they would eventually be on all the time. I assume they've also addressed the issue about only having one in operation (single lane) at any one time. Presumably something to do with multiple radar usage or something.

Apparently up until recently they were never on at all, even when a variable limit was displayed*; now they're on 24/7.


*I often wondered why I usually seemed to be the only driver obeying the limits along there!
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
They should get a lot of morons talking on their phones then. Although yesterday was different as it appeared to be "leave your indicator on" day
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
I bet you didnt see any BMWs with their indicators on! ;)

Err, hang on a minute...................I'm a BMW driver and my indicators are in full working order and used when necessary.............now taxi drivers........:(
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
That's because most of the drivers didn't tick the option box for the indicator stalk.

I find its Audi drivers who have not bothered to order the indicator option.

Anyway, someone drove through the barrier at Newhaven Town the other day. just blasted through, not even stopping. Train was waiting to depart as well. Made a mess of the barriers.

As for the cameras on the M25. When they were not enforcing the VSL they used to be set quite high (mid 90's), but this has been dropped.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Err, hang on a minute...................I'm a BMW driver and my indicators are in full working order and used when necessary.............now taxi drivers........:(

Calm down dear, it's just a stereotype :P

...one which is born out by a lot of experience, mind!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
About an hour ago.... fairly moderate to heavy traffic in Epsom High Street.... ambulance comes along with lights on, everyone dutifully gets out of the way.... one moron then gets through the traffic by following the ambulance... :roll:

Before anyone asks, I doubt it was an unmarked response vehicle behind the ambulance unless unmarked response vehicles now have alloy wheels and exhausts louder than motorbikes...
 

DJL

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2013
Messages
310
About an hour ago.... fairly moderate to heavy traffic in Epsom High Street.... ambulance comes along with lights on, everyone dutifully gets out of the way.... one moron then gets through the traffic by following the ambulance... :roll:

Before anyone asks, I doubt it was an unmarked response vehicle behind the ambulance unless unmarked response vehicles now have alloy wheels and exhausts louder than motorbikes...

I've seen that. I was somewhat miffed! (I think my words at the time were probably somewhat harsher!)
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
To be fair it isn't just BMW or Audi drivers that seem to have no indicators. I recently thought the law had been changed and they weren't required anymore until a mate took his driving test and I asked him.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
About an hour ago.... fairly moderate to heavy traffic in Epsom High Street.... ambulance comes along with lights on, everyone dutifully gets out of the way.... one moron then gets through the traffic by following the ambulance... :roll:

It's a popular thing to try and do, and is incredibly dangerous. Someone was recently convicted of dangerous driving for doing it (amongst other incidents that formed the offence).
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
About an hour ago.... fairly moderate to heavy traffic in Epsom High Street.... ambulance comes along with lights on, everyone dutifully gets out of the way.... one moron then gets through the traffic by following the ambulance... :roll:

This tends to inspire the ambulance driver to speed up if there's a speed camera ahead.
They get flashed, EOC deals with the letter.
Car behind gets flashed.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
This tends to inspire the ambulance driver to speed up if there's a speed camera ahead.
They get flashed, EOC deals with the letter.
Car behind gets flashed.

I did something similar once when I was being tailgated very closely by someone in a 30 with multiple cameras while I was right on the limit with an indicated 32; I knew there was yet another camera hidden just around a wide bend with a long straight after it so I slowed down and pulled over to the left just at that bend. As I expected, the tailgater shot past me and a few seconds later was lit up from behind by a double flash from the Licence Dalek...
 

natureboy

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2011
Messages
39
Location
Cottingley [COT]
(title bias my own)
from the Cambridge News


The A10 Foxton crossing again. As a pedant, I do take a little exception to the caption


As it is a locally controlled full barrier crossing, whilst it is reckless and illegal, as I understand it there should be no chance of a collision with a train doing this, as the signals protecting the crossing will not be cleared until the barriers are down and the signaller has visually confirmed the crossing is clear? Though of course in a news report that would be a bad message to send when you're trying to discourage this behaviour!

We need rising bollards to stop this stupidity once and for all. Take the barriers away and install rising bollards similar to those which protect bus lanes, but these would of course need to be far stronger. Something that would stop an HGV is what's needed, and once the red lights start to flash they should rise with lightening force! I can guarantee that that would put and end to road vehicles crossing the railway when they shouldn't!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
We need rising bollards to stop this stupidity once and for all. Take the barriers away and install rising bollards similar to those which protect bus lanes, but these would of course need to be far stronger. Something that would stop an HGV is what's needed, and once the red lights start to flash they should rise with lightening force! I can guarantee that that would put and end to road vehicles crossing the railway when they shouldn't!

In this country, for full barriered crossings, we require proof that the barriers are down. This is done by detecting the position of the barriers electrically. This is in addition to a check that the crossing is clear, either by the Mark 1 eyeball or Mark 2 obstacle detection devices.

If a vehicle (or person) goes through the barriers, the detection is lost and the protecting signals automatically replace to danger, and stay at danger until the crossing is fixed. Your local friendly signalling technician will then come out and fix the barrier - usually by replacing the sacrificial shear bolts on the pedestal end of the barrier. This is about 30 mins work - I've done it myself.

Using the same principles with rising bollards, and like it or not people will still hit them, the bollards will have to be able to be fixed easily to avoid delaying trains for long. This is not usually compatible with the mechanism being underground. Alternatively the bollards have to be so sturdy that an lorry travelling at, say 20mph would not cause them to lose detection.

Final point - when rising bollards were tried in the US, the first set failed semi-permanently at the onset of winter as they froze up. Subsequently modified with heating. Which needed a new power supply.

All seems a lot of hassle compared to some decent cameras and a swathe of prosecutions.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
We need rising bollards to stop this stupidity once and for all. Take the barriers away and install rising bollards similar to those which protect bus lanes, but these would of course need to be far stronger. Something that would stop an HGV is what's needed, and once the red lights start to flash they should rise with lightening force! I can guarantee that that would put and end to road vehicles crossing the railway when they shouldn't!

You'd end up with vehicles trapped (else you won't prevent "snaking") and worse, you'd get long vehicles impaled and fouling the crossing
 

PowerLee

Member
Joined
24 May 2014
Messages
39
Option 1: We need to start installing those pop up slope barriers like the Russians video on page 3 of this thread.

Option 2: We need a watch tower with a couple of guards up there armed with machine guns!

I prefer option 2 but option 1 is more EU friendly.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
Or option 3, as suggested not far upthread: lots of enforcement cameras and a willingness to use them to prosecute errant motorists?
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
Or option 3, as suggested not far upthread: lots of enforcement cameras and a willingness to use them to prosecute errant motorists?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top