southern442
Established Member
Moderator note: Spit from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/plans-for-rail-service-from-kent-to-gatwick.209242/
There is not a huge amount of demand on the Tonbridge-Redhill line. I will admit, the only time I've used it was post-COVID, but I believe one of the main reasons for killing off the London-Tonbridge service was that nobody really used it apart from in the places where it was doubling up other services.
The line itself, however, has the potential to be a useful connector to other places where there is demand. I have thought maybe in the (distant) future, when 769's take over the north downs and it becomes 3tph, that one of those could then revert to the old tradition of carrying on to Tonbridge, with the other two going to Gatwick. There is certainly potential for a Kent-Gatwick service, but my question is would this be best as a stopper or an express? A stopper would bring more airport customers direct, but would perhaps put off some of the longer-distance travellers.
In the very long term, one could even connect Kent up to the Cross Country network via the North Downs line if there was potential for that kind of service.
There is not a huge amount of demand on the Tonbridge-Redhill line. I will admit, the only time I've used it was post-COVID, but I believe one of the main reasons for killing off the London-Tonbridge service was that nobody really used it apart from in the places where it was doubling up other services.
The line itself, however, has the potential to be a useful connector to other places where there is demand. I have thought maybe in the (distant) future, when 769's take over the north downs and it becomes 3tph, that one of those could then revert to the old tradition of carrying on to Tonbridge, with the other two going to Gatwick. There is certainly potential for a Kent-Gatwick service, but my question is would this be best as a stopper or an express? A stopper would bring more airport customers direct, but would perhaps put off some of the longer-distance travellers.
In the very long term, one could even connect Kent up to the Cross Country network via the North Downs line if there was potential for that kind of service.
Last edited by a moderator: