_toommm_
Established Member
Interestingly I keep getting electric shocks from the 390s on my right arm whenever I put my arm on the 'window sill'. I don't know if it's because I've got a mole there, but it's a constant electric shock...
Interestingly I keep getting electric shocks from the 390s on my right arm whenever I put my arm on the 'window sill'. I don't know if it's because I've got a mole there, but it's a constant electric shock...
There's nothing wrong with the interiors that a refurbishment would fix. They've dated remarkably well. There's zero chance of window aligned seating, just as there wasn't in mk3s, other than the Grand Central coaches with original second class seats mounted at first class position.
A different seat type would still have to be missing a window armrest and window seats would still be annoying if you didn't grab one with enough of a window ledge to use as an armrest.
Personally I don't care about WiFi - I imagine most people don't. The fewer people TAP-TAP-tapping away the better.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm going back to the 1990s with some of these archaic views about technology...
The only thing for me is the narrow profile making it feel cramped, especially if I'm at a window with someone next to me. Of course this can't really be fixed, but regardless, they're decent trains
I really like a lot of aspects of the Pendolino interior. The lighting is warm and pleasant, the finishes use nice colours which are easy on the eye and have a quality look and feel, and the seats are comfortable (good in Standard, excellent in First). I can live with the tilt profile, and as long as you get a seat that has a window next to it (admittedly a bit hit and miss) they're very nice to travel in. Agree we could do with more plug sockets and a bit of modernisation here and there, but generally I think they've aged very well indeed.
Much as I'm, er, heavy gauge, I think it would make sense to take about 1" off the width of each seat in order to provide an armrest on the window side, as that would provide overall better comfort. That stupid conduit thing is meant to act as an armrest but it really doesn't.
That's the only thing about the design I don't like. The conduit is a funny shape and my arm keeps sliding off it.
Pendolino 1st is easily my favourite in the UK, the only thing I'd change is to have more unidirectional single seats, perhaps half the single seats in each coach would be good.
I agree about the lighting and general ambiance - it is of high quality and has aged very well - they certainly don't look roughly 15 years old whereas some other similarly aged stock, particularly Class 180, is falling to bits.
It (and the larger windows) are why I prefer a Voyager on the WCML, though it's marginal as otherwise the interiors are near identical.
Yes, when travelling alone I really like sitting in an individual airline first class seat. There's plenty in the driving vehicle, but it tends to be noisy in there because of the galley and staff hanging around next to it.
I’d accept class 90sI'd rather they were replaced with Class 87's and Mark 3's.![]()
Personally I don't care about WiFi - I imagine most people don't. The fewer people TAP-TAP-tapping away the better.
Along with a full voyager refurb?Can we outsource this refurbishment to Booths of Rotherham?![]()
Most people would want WiFi.
Which would see the Pendos to near end of life.For about the next 5-10 years after which I'd expect it, as with Rabbit phones and the likes, to be superceded with blanket mobile coverage across the whole country at a much cheaper price than at present.
The pendolino user study linked on that contains some choice quotes... such as this charming gem from User K:The fleet's owner, Angel Trains, commissioned some mockups to show to the bidders for the next West Coast franchise.
Sometimes if you’re in cattle, council class people try to just engage with you.
There is no way the windows could be made bigger. The reason they had to be that size was meet crashworthness requirements.Some thoughts:
Exterior wise, the pendolinos are some of the most modern looking units. Interior wise, they're crap compared to the 30 year old stock run by LNER.
- rework the luggage holders and the panels above the windows so that it doesn't make the ceiling look so low
- Replace all the interior panels with a tone seen more on velaro units
- re-engineer the windows to make them bigger (I'm sure the units are over stiff already - they're full of bulkheads, there's no need for them to be that small)
- get rid of the blue/silver panels in the vestibules.
- Replace the seats with something that looks a little bit less 90s.
Acually dont mind the new scheme on the 390s , looks more modern . Though i do wish they would do a full interior refresh . With plug sockets throughout , free wifi and decent catering in the shop .