43096
On Moderation
- Joined
- 23 Nov 2015
- Messages
- 18,889
So, InterCity, Network SouthEast, Regional Railways, ScotRail and whatever Wales wants to use as a brand. We're back at BR with the additional of Wales.Some small elements of the of branding of Network South East still exist: my travelcard to London has NSE printed on it; I bought a discounted ticket from Maidstone to Winchester (using 3 TOCs) using my Network Railcard, etc...
I would start with the first brand right there - it doesn't have to be NSE but use something along those lines. With the exception of GWR, all the current TOCs could become "concessions" to be part of the one brand to cover the London and South East market. With the inevitable fall in season ticket revenue (several City companies I know have banished staff until January 2021 and some are even re-evaluating the size of their offices in London), I think this is where you will struggle most. One strong brand to try to get people on the train would be the way to go. The Network Railcard was itself an example of what was done before. "The new three-day-a-week Brighton commuter gets a free trip to Cambridge on Sundays..." that kind of thing....
Inter-City or Intercity or some other new word that means long distance and fast, is the next obvious one. If you remember how we struggled with 3 million unemployed in the 1980s, then you know we are going to have something stronger than "the famous five" to cope with 4 million unemployed over the next 4 or 5 years. It will be all about fighting car, coach and plane with cheaper innovative fares and consistent quality. You certainly need different branding to NSE. Again, with the exception of EMR and GWR, the new concessions already exist to be grouped together.
That leaves Regional England. I can't see any arguments for splitting that up any further.
So I think 5 brands would be enough: England, Scotland, Wales, "Fast" & "London"
If you go that route then I'd suggest HS2 should be InterCity Express.
