• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Idea for a Greater Lincolnshire Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2018
Messages
2,642
Location
Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire
Ok. As people know Lincolnshire is poorly connected and I had an idea to create a new project called ‘Lincolnshire Metro’ which the aims are:

  • Improving connectivity in Lincolnshire by public transport
  • Connecting large towns and villages disconnected from the rail network if possible or provide other transport links to help improve connectivity

I want to see your ideas: Would it involve reopening railway lines? Providing any new stations on existing lines? New services (if so where)? Any improvements to buses (maybe even park and ride)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,401
Location
Humberside
I’ve had a similar fantasy idea of creating a Humberside PTE, with its own Merseyrail-style metro rail network. I might try and make it over the weekend.
 

class26

Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,199
Many people think no one lives in Lincolnshire but the truth id the markets towns are heavily congested, Boston being a nightmare. Huberts Bridge could be turned into a Park and Ride station to start with. The other side of boston we need a new station at Sibsey. it is a sizeable village and a park and ride there would help things.
Many people I know don`t even consider the train as the wait on an often open , windy station is not attractive. Time keeping isn`t bad these days but if we are serious we need an half hour frequency to get people out of their cars then the maximum wait would be 29 minutes rather than 59 minutes. A regular interval timetable would help also so it isn`t necessary to look at a timetable. that alone puts people off for local journeys.

I know many will say this is ludicrous and will carry lots of fresh air around but this is the step change needed to get people out of cars. The trains here carry far more than is generally realised
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,361
If I'm honest, I would put my money for a Greater Lincolnshire Metro into a Nottingham Regional tram-train system, using 2.4m tram trains that, if possible, could have toilet modules fitted.

Lincolnshire is a bit of an oddity because most of the southern part is solidly in Nottingham's economic orbit and many of the railway lines reflect this.
But because of the local government boundaries public transport desperately tries to build a network based on Lincoln that isn't particularly useful.
 

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2018
Messages
2,642
Location
Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire
If I'm honest, I would put my money for a Greater Lincolnshire Metro into a Nottingham Regional tram-train system, using 2.4m tram trains that, if possible, could have toilet modules fitted.

Lincolnshire is a bit of an oddity because most of the southern part is solidly in Nottingham's economic orbit and many of the railway lines reflect this.
But because of the local government boundaries public transport desperately tries to build a network based on Lincoln that isn't particularly useful.

True but improving public transport links across Lincolnshire is important as it is really not good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top