illovecaesar
Member
Hi all,
In May, I (TH) was issued a penalty fine for evading a TFL bus fare (I thought my contactless had gone through, it hadn’t). I gave the ticket inspector my details. Since then, I had not heard back. However, out of pure coincidence, my sister (FH) who does not live at my address, asked me to open correspondence she was expecting. Having done so, I realised that a Single Justice Procedure had been issued under her name. A decade ago, she had committed a fare evading offence, which was cited under the SJP. All other contact details - including my DOB and the correct address was issued. I only had one day to left to reply to the SJP, and in my panic, I pleaded Guilty but outlined the situation and stated I was happy to pay the necessary fine, though I wish my sister not to be implicated as she was not responsible for the evasion. What I believe happened was during the admin process of issuing a fine, my name (which sounds a lot like my sisters) was confused with my sisters, who was already on the TFL system. My sister has now been summoned to Magistrate Court (though again all other details such as DoB are associated with me), with details saying the case is not suitable to be dealt with under the single justice procedure. My sister is very ill, has two children, and lives very far from me in London. She will not be able to attend the court date - regardless, I’m the individual who committed the evasion. It is crazy that a set of simple mistakes have led to this point - I am severely stressed, my mental health is suffering, and I just want this over with. Can someone point me as to if this will be possible to settle out of Court, without implicating my sister - again, I’m happy to pay the necessary fines etc. I’d appreciate any help, genuinely thanks in advance for anything you can offer.
In May, I (TH) was issued a penalty fine for evading a TFL bus fare (I thought my contactless had gone through, it hadn’t). I gave the ticket inspector my details. Since then, I had not heard back. However, out of pure coincidence, my sister (FH) who does not live at my address, asked me to open correspondence she was expecting. Having done so, I realised that a Single Justice Procedure had been issued under her name. A decade ago, she had committed a fare evading offence, which was cited under the SJP. All other contact details - including my DOB and the correct address was issued. I only had one day to left to reply to the SJP, and in my panic, I pleaded Guilty but outlined the situation and stated I was happy to pay the necessary fine, though I wish my sister not to be implicated as she was not responsible for the evasion. What I believe happened was during the admin process of issuing a fine, my name (which sounds a lot like my sisters) was confused with my sisters, who was already on the TFL system. My sister has now been summoned to Magistrate Court (though again all other details such as DoB are associated with me), with details saying the case is not suitable to be dealt with under the single justice procedure. My sister is very ill, has two children, and lives very far from me in London. She will not be able to attend the court date - regardless, I’m the individual who committed the evasion. It is crazy that a set of simple mistakes have led to this point - I am severely stressed, my mental health is suffering, and I just want this over with. Can someone point me as to if this will be possible to settle out of Court, without implicating my sister - again, I’m happy to pay the necessary fines etc. I’d appreciate any help, genuinely thanks in advance for anything you can offer.
x