• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I won a prize in a staff photo competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
As most of you know I work for the beloved XC, and Arriva run a photo competition for all of their staff, you have to photograph something operated anywhere throughout Europe by Arriva.

I finished second at my first attempt, and you'll see my shot in the July 2010 section on This page

Won me a tidy £150 too!!!! And of course, in my opinion my shot was way better than the first placed one :D:D:D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
You've given me a idea to push for within First, ta very much :)
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
SWT did this for their calendar a few years ago, but the calendar was an early casualty of the financial cutbacks so we have no similar photo competition in the Stagecoach group.:cry:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
That is a very good snap Matt! I like the colours, and the reflection in the water.

The only reason that I can see for picking the first place shot is that it's in black and white! Photo magazines seem to value b&w more highly than colour images, at least as far as competitions go!
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
I don't like the first place.

Yours is much better.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,745
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Agreed - I just don't like blatant 'clever-but-not-attractive' post-production malarkey.

Without wishing to insult the creativity of the July winner, it's too busy an overall composition, with no immediate focal-point

And the 'desaturate everything except the subject' approach works for moody models and wacky wedding-shots - but not a XC...

And I do believe that would have broken a key rule on "Photo of the Week"...

So - by kangaroo court - we, the fraternity and jury, declare Mister Wilson the undisputed July winner! More power to your f-stop!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Agreed - I just don't like blatant 'clever-but-not-attractive' post-production malarkey.

Without wishing to insult the creativity of the July winner, it's too busy an overall composition, with no immediate focal-point

And the 'desaturate everything except the subject' approach works for moody models and wacky wedding-shots - but not a XC...

And I do believe that would have broken a key rule on "Photo of the Week"...

So - by kangaroo court - we, the fraternity and jury, declare Mister Wilson the undisputed July winner! More power to your f-stop!
Thanks for all the kind comments, I think mine was better too of course. Don't suppose you lot mind making up the difference in prize money do you? £150 please :)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Well done! Yes I'd agree yours is best, impossible to fault (apart from the fact it's a Voyager ;))

You're in good company there - the Photo of the Year 2009 is stunning, and I really like the April 2010 winner too.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
XC employees seem to be trouncing employees of all other parts of Arriva!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
XC employees seem to be trouncing employees of all other parts of Arriva!
According to Arriva's own site, company wide they have some 42000 employees, so yes the little quantity at XC seem to be eating the competition alive. When I got the email to say I was 2nd all I could think was "Please don't let it be a bus photo that won"
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Yep it's not a timetable, clearly a LU map. You can see the Central line and District line on the map, and the shaded zones.


 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top