• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I was caught by an inspector today. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily0908

New Member
Joined
9 Jan 2014
Messages
1
I was traveling by the London Underground today. I was new there, just for few days travel, so a friend of mine bought a young-person day ticket for me because she supposed that I had the young-person card. Though I didn't bring it, I didn't think much. But I did buy a card last year. I met an inspector on my way and I told him that I left my card home. He didn't fine me but asked me to email the photo of my young-person card when I get home. But I just realized that my card has been expired on last November.
What can I do now? Can I buy a new card then send them the photo or just pay the fine? Will it affect my record and future employability?I don't mind how much to pay, I just don't want it affect my credit and make people think I'm a dishonest persona. I'm a oversea university student now, I'm really scared and worried.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,468
Where were you caught?

In respect of "just pay the fine", did they ask you to pay a Penalty Fare? Were your details taken?

If you buy one now and email them the proof (by that I think he probably meant the Railcard with the photo rather than the Photocard alone) then they will know that you purchased it after the incident, so hardly reflects well on you, so I don't think that's a good idea.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I was traveling by the London Underground today. I was new there, just for few days travel, so a friend of mine bought a young-person day ticket for me because she supposed that I had the young-person card. Though I didn't bring it, I didn't think much. But I did buy a card last year. I met an inspector on my way and I told him that I left my card home. He didn't fine me but asked me to email the photo of my young-person card when I get home. But I just realized that my card has been expired on last November.
What can I do now? Can I buy a new card then send them the photo or just pay the fine? Will it affect my record and future employability?I don't mind how much to pay, I just don't want it affect my credit and make people think I'm a dishonest persona. I'm a oversea university student now, I'm really scared and worried.

This is potentially much more serious than affecting your credit. You need the Railcard with you in order to make your ticket valid. As you did not do this, you did not have a valid ticket. Travelling without a valid ticket is a criminal offence: if you do not sort this quickly, Transport for London might chose to prosecute you, which could result in a criminal record and a fine.

Given that you don't have the railcard, I would advise you to pay the Penalty Fare immediately.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
What details were taken by the inspector? You don't mention anything but I assume something must have been taken down.

Given that you don't have the railcard, I would advise you to pay the Penalty Fare immediately.

It doesn't sound as if a Penalty Fare was issued, so this may not be an option.

Unless it's TfL's policy to accept evidence of the Railcard after the event - which is not the policy of most train operating companies - then it sounds like the inspector was not being helpful. They would not be in a position to decide what is done with the matter once the paperwork is handed in, so should not make any promises.

I agree that buying a new Railcard now is probably not a great idea. You will probably be asked for your version of events - replying truthfully and offering to pay the fare due and any costs incurred would be a first step in avoiding court.
 

timbo58

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2013
Messages
175
Actually did your friend have to show her own YP card in order to purchase the ticket?
In which case she bought the ticket for herself and wrongfully transferred it to you in essence.

I am surprised the inspector didn't confiscate the ticket and issue either a PF or report for possible prosecution to be honest.

Whether he was actually trying to be 'too helpful' perhaps would be my take.
Whichever, as you cannot produce said promised valid railcard and it's going to look like you deliberately obtained a discounted fare knowing you didn't have a valid railcard.

Lexyboy is correct: what details did you give and how were these details checked/verified?
 

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2013
Messages
1,212
Location
CLC
Be honest with them, plead ignorance and pay the penalty and probably no further action!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top