• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I want to make my own train livery how do i do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,498
Location
Yorkshire
Use MS Paint or Photoshop or some other photo manipulation programme on a photo of the unit?
MS Paint? Are you sure about that? I've never heard of Paint described as a photo manipulation program; it's very basic!

Photoshop, yes. But how? Actually if anyone could post a tutorial I'd be interested to hear how people do it.

I do know a bit about Photoshop and even teach people how to use it. But I am self-taught and I'm keen to learn more techniques. I also use an old version (CS4).

When things are back to normal, it would be good to have a forum Photoshop Workshop and share tips :)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
Photoshop, yes. But how? Actually if anyone could post a tutorial I'd be interested to hear how people do it.

I'm sure there's a few on YouTube - there's certainly some telling you how to copy a livery over from one thing onto another.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
MS Paint? Are you sure about that? I've never heard of Paint described as a photo manipulation program; it's very basic!

I've used Paint to change the colours of things in photographs. It can be done but it is tedious and basic.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
The 'how' doesn't really matter - there's different ways of achieving the same result (the colour you want where you want it!) - hue adjustment, airbrush, different layer modes, etc, which you'll be able to pick up from more general photo editing tutorials. Having the right source material also helps - the current plethora of white liveries makes it a lot easier to tweak things
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,498
Location
Yorkshire
I've used Paint to change the colours of things in photographs. It can be done but it is tedious and basic.
I'd be interested to see the results of someone attempting to change the livery of a photograph of train in MS Paint; I can't think it would be up to much. I really don't think this is what the OP was asking for!
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
I managed to do one with GIMP, an open source photo tool which is free but a bit worse than Photoshop.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
I've done all of my stuff in GIMP - it's not easy to learn necessarily but it's perfectly functional once you've learnt how to do things with it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top