• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I want to extend my journey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetlagged

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2015
Messages
209
I have bought a Super Off-Peak Single on Thameslink from Luton to Cricklewood for use on a Sunday afternoon. My plans have changed and now I need to get off further down route at Tulse Hill.

I also have an Oyster Card, so was planning to leave the train at Cricklewood, pass through the barriers and use my Oyster to reenter the station and continue the journey on the following train. That will be a 30 minute wait though so my question:

Rather than wait the 30 minutes. is there any way of staying on the train, exiting at Tulse Hill swiping my Oyster and then sorting out the fare with Tfl when it comes back with maximum fare charged for the journey?

TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
I think you are on dodgy ground trying to sort it out after the fact. There is no obligation for them to refund you as you did not follow the Oyster procedure. If an inspector checks you en-route you will not be in possession of a valid ticket. It will only cost you £1.80 more (£4.50 for a paper ticket from Cricklewood to Tulse Hill, versus £2.70 Oyster offpeak) to buy a paper ticket from Cricklewood to Tulse Hill in advance and remain on the train. Is 30 minutes of your time worth £1.80?

I would normally suggest you try and get the fare excessed or seek a good-will refund on the original ticket and buy another - but in this case that works out more expensive than just buying a paper single.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Obtain an overdistance excess* ticket prior to travel. I believe you could be liable for a penalty fare (or a potential prosecution) if you remain on the train beyond the distance shown on your ticket.

* It may be cheaper to purchase a single from Cricklewood [CRI] to Tulse Hill [TUH] than excess - and it would be definitely cheaper to break your journey by passing through the barriers at CRI but at the time penalty of 30 mins.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,922
Location
Birkenhead
I agree with Intermodal in that you'd be on very dodgy ground. By staying on the train, you are travelling without any ticket from Cricklewood to Tulse Hill and if challenged by Revenue Protection, you would be liable for a penalty fare as a bare minimum.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
I have bought a Super Off-Peak Single on Thameslink from Luton to Cricklewood for use on a Sunday afternoon. My plans have changed and now I need to get off further down route at Tulse Hill.

I also have an Oyster Card, so was planning to leave the train at Cricklewood, pass through the barriers and use my Oyster to reenter the station and continue the journey on the following train. That will be a 30 minute wait though so my question:

Rather than wait the 30 minutes. is there any way of staying on the train, exiting at Tulse Hill swiping my Oyster and then sorting out the fare with Tfl when it comes back with maximum fare charged for the journey?

TIA
An overdistance excess would not be good value, at £6.40, but would allow you to take a fast train.

You can buy another paper ticket, or you just have to accept the delay.

It is not advisable to travel beyond your destination without a ticket or other authority to travel; you would be liable to a Penalty Fare (if thought to be a mistake) or even prosecution (if thought to be deliberate).
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
The Oyster fare is £2.70 each way so would be £5.40 assuming you’re making a return journey.

The overdistance excess is £6.40 so for the sake of £1 I’d get the excess as it will save having to step back a train at Cricklewood.

Luton ticket office should be able to sell the over distance excess however some clerks are poorly trained and you might struggle to obtain it.
 

Jetlagged

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2015
Messages
209
Thank you all for your speedy, detailed replies.

I will try the LUA ticket office first, failing that it will be a step back at Cricklewood.

Many thanks and a very Happy New Year to you all.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
LUA is Luton Airport (Bus), which is the bus terminal for the airport, which has a bus connection to Luton Airport Parkway (LTN).

Anyway yes either LTN or LUT ticket offices should be able to do it.
 

Jetlagged

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2015
Messages
209
I'm arriving at the airport and have bought a ticket from there by bus and train. I'll try at the airport first and failing that at Parkway

Thanks again for the advice.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,187
The one time I was in this situation I asked for written confirmation from the ticet office that they could not issue the ticket, they then were magically able to do it.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I only remember there being a TVM at the airport but I haven’t been there for some time and may not have looked very carefully.
 

Jetlagged

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2015
Messages
209
Hi everyone. Thanks again for all the very informative replies. I'm back from my trip now and happy to report that all went like clockwork. I approached the desk at LUA and the young lady there could not have been more helpful. She immediately recognised that the matter should be dealt with by way of excess and £5.90 later, I was on my way.

Happy New Year to you all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top